• Register Today It's free!

91X--Dead starter (95% sure).

arebee123

Reaction score
City, State
Sonora, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I have a 91' xlt 5-speed and I'm about 95% sure the starter just died in it today... Here's the deal, I go to leave work, explorer fired right up, I show up at a friends house to pick him up..

turned off the truck for about 5 mins, go to start it back up and it cranked over about 2 or 3 revolutions then the starter made a nasty noise, almost like the sound u get when you're a DJ who's scratching records (like a "jerr-uup" noise... bear with me folks.. lol) and then it doesnt crank over any more. Just a single click when i turn the key.

It's like the starter siezed up mid-start (while it was trying to start the explorer)...

So i'm baffled for a sec, wind up roll starting the truck from reverse (which was cool cuz it fired right up, no abnormal noises) drove it home, still wont start (single click)... I did some investigation, relay on fender-well is okay (verified with volt-meter and having a partner turn the key) made sure I had 12volt on both posts. Also verified with voltmeter 12volt constant hot on the fat red wire at the starter, and I get 12volt on the smaller, relay wire *at* the starter itself, when you turn the key.

If i bypass the ignition system (jumper wire from battery hot to the post on the fenderwell relay), I get a audible single click from the starter itself and it does *not* spin up or engage. *one thing to note is the jumper wire gets hotter than a ***** a couple seconds after that single audible "click" from the starter... As if something is seriously hosed or siezed on the starter itself.

The funny thing is I had this problem about 9 months ago, wound up replacing the starter and it worked like a charm. I guess I'm surprised that a new starter can indeed fail soon after it was purchased... Perhaps I was a bit naieve. I'll replace the starter tomorrow and I'll bet my problem will go away.

Anyways I'll follow up after replacing the starter to make sure it did indeed fix the problem.. otherwise feel free to comment on this thread or use it as a tip if your having the same exact issue.

Ryan

Tap it with a mag light or hammer (Tap!) then try to start it if it works than indeed it is the strter. I did this then it worked normal for like 4 days then again then i tapped it a couple more times than ok for weeks 2 more times then like 2 months later no amount of tapping would fix it.
Nate

My budddy didthis every other start for 5 months before he put a starter in.

I bought a new starter for my truck April 2005 and had to replace it Dec. 2005 sometimes it would engage, other times not. Took it back to Advance and they said it engaged fine for them, but they heard some kind of noise in it so they replaced it under warranty. Haven't had a problem since.

Yep tap it with a hammer.

I thought I had a bad starter, turned out the solinoid was loose.

Back