Should Ford Cover This? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should Ford Cover This?

specifically it's not the work you do your self.

It's more the brand of part you buy. Magnuson-moss is mostly about you using replacement parts not sourced through a dealer or manufacturer.

Ie you changed your oil and didn't use motorcraft oil and motorcraft filter therefore we void your warranty.

FYI, you don't have to use Motorcraft Oil to keep your warranty. Even says so in the manual:

"Your engine has been designed to use engine oil that meets Ford specification. It is also acceptable to use an engine oil of recommended viscosity grade that displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines."

All you need is the same viscosity and the API seal.

88525G02.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Insurance should cover it - it's probably home owners not auto - but that varies.

Nope. Auto insurance will cover the damages; a homeowners policy will NOT cover any motorized land vehicle unless it is used to service the residence premises or designed to assist the handicapped, and NOT subject to registration in either instance.

Think this way...Auto insurance covers autos and the factory installed equipment and Home insurance covers homes and personal property of the insured.

Nope. Auto insurance will cover the damages; a homeowners policy will NOT cover any motorized land vehicle unless it is used to service the residence premises or designed to assist the handicapped, and NOT subject to registration in either instance.

Think this way...Auto insurance covers autos and the factory installed equipment and Home insurance covers homes and personal property of the insured.

This is correct. Any damages ( including injuries sustained working on a vehicle inside your garage) are paid by the auto insurance policy. In fact, any injuries sustained within 25 feet of an auto, while working on it, ( like tripping over a tool box and smashing teeth on the floor) are considered an auto accident, in my state at least. I know this is a war story but a forum member was injured in my garage while working on my son's vehicle. Both policies are from the same company, and by law my sons auto insurance had to pay the medical bills. If my tree falls on your car, your car insurance pays. Homeowners insurance pays nothing toward a car claim, unless an agent commits a level of fraud. ;)

FYI, you don't have to use Motorcraft Oil to keep your warranty. Even says so in the manual:

"Your engine has been designed to use engine oil that meets Ford specification. It is also acceptable to use an engine oil of recommended viscosity grade that displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines."

All you need is the same viscosity and the API seal.

88525G02.gif

Indeed - yet as another layer of CYA - most motor oils of quality will state on the back what manufacturer spec their products meet. notice all the ones that tout DEXOS compatible now.

Notice the manual also quotes off the Ford _____________ spec number. you should use an oil that states that as well. granted I don't know of one that doesn't, but I bet there is somewhere. if you have an internal engine issue and you change your own oil - keep a record of it - keep a record of what you bought. Because it will be questioned under warranty for warranty repair.

Regardless of maker. same would be true of other maintenance items.

why I said it varies.

when a tree fell on my car - at my GF's house years ago. her home owners insurance covered the car. not my car insurance - not her car insurance.

I'm in MS now, was in AL when that happened. I suspect it might also vary by state.

either way - one claim should be made to covered a in depth vehicle inspection.

or at least that's what I would do for CYA. we live in a very litigious society today. I'd worry slightly over that next accident I might have when you get asked "was your car in perfect working order" and you have to say, golly I think so while being sued.

just sayin' CYA, emphasis on YA.

why I said it varies.

when a tree fell on my car - at my GF's house years ago. her home owners insurance covered the car. not my car insurance - not her car insurance.

I'm in MS now, was in AL when that happened. I suspect it might also vary by state.

either way - one claim should be made to covered a in depth vehicle inspection.

or at least that's what I would do for CYA. we live in a very litigious society today. I'd worry slightly over that next accident I might have when you get asked "was your car in perfect working order" and you have to say, golly I think so while being sued.

just sayin' CYA, emphasis on YA.

That was years ago. Today the HO insurance company would deny the claim unless your girlfriend knew beforehand the tree was diseased and posed a liability hazard. Just a simple windstorm blows down the tree would not invoke liability coverage from the HO policy unless of course, she knew the tree was a hazard and failed to have it removed. Then its her liability coverage from her homeowners policy that would pay the damages.

I've been in "the business" for 35 years. I agree many years ago the claim MAY have been paid, but those days are long gone.

I agree on CYA and your should always contact your agent (you have an agent, right? Not just some 800 number, right?) for help in making sure your CYA properly. :D

the nest and other crap was up by the brake reservoir - do you know that it didn't get contaminated? if nothing else check the cap and seals to make sure they car solid then.

also brake fluid should be replaced regularly anyway as is 2-4 years depending on type so might as well start off fresh.

The car is 2 months old. The fluid is full and clear. There is no damage to the cap, so unless he unscrewed the cap, pissed in it and then tightened it back up I feel ok.

I've replaced and bled brake lines on multiple cars. Not exactly a 2 minute job.

The car is 2 months old. The fluid is full and clear. There is no damage to the cap, so unless he unscrewed the cap, pissed in it and then tightened it back up I feel ok.

I've replaced and bled brake lines on multiple cars. Not exactly a 2 minute job.

glad you inspected it. any other found damages?

Nope. 1k mile drive to NY without a hitch

I can't see the pictures but thanks for good laugh. Buzzards ate my Explorer with only a couple of thousand miles on it. Funny that they didn't eat my 11 year old Explorer with 250k... Replacement parts cost me right at $500....

Back