• Register Today It's free!

SHOULD I Do It?

speerskija

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bower
My 92 Eddie Bauer has 131,000 miles on it. It still looks good inside and out for the most part. The Transmission needs to be rebuilt. The engine has been pretty well kept, just the tranny fluid wasn't changed in roughly 131,000 miles,...mega frown. Anyway, i've been quoted 1700 for a rebuilt tranny with a good warranty. Should I just ditch the truck and get something else or bite the tranny cost and rebuild it. Do you think the truck (engine and other stuff) will last long enough after to make it worth it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have to ask yourself one question.... Do you love your truck? alot of guys on the board have put 2 or 3(sometimes more) trannies into their explorer. if the explorer is just another vehicle to you, it may not be worth it. My 5R tranny outlived my motor, and i'm spending the almost the resale value of the truck to get it repaired, but i don't regret it because i love my truck. its my transportation, my hobby and my money pit.

I spent $1300 today on a rebuild for my '92 that has 225,000 miles on it. I love my truck.

Edit: I should probably say that it doesn't burn any oil, runs strong, and has some custom touches.

Unless you've made a bunch of modifications to your truck that really make it special, it is just another truck and I doubt it's worth it for you to fix. Especially if you can tack a couple thousand onto that $1700 and get a newer vehicle. Realistically, you should be able to buy a truck like yours that runs well in the $1000 range.

If, on the other hand, you were willing to take on the job of swapping the tranny out yourself, you may get this truck fixed for a lot less.

There's rebuilt trannies on Ebay for $700-$900.
These are transmission shops that sell on ebay and they have good feedback.

but, they only have 3 month warranty usually, and don't include shipping or install/removal

Back