Should I replace O2 sensors in pairs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I replace O2 sensors in pairs?

EdmondsXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonds, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 AWD
I just picked up an 03 Explorer XLT V6 that was showing a P2198 code - O2 sensorf stuck rich, Bank 2 sensor 1 - so driver's side upstream sensor. I picked up a new one and swapped it in and the code has gone away. My question is, should I replace the one on the other side as well? Or even the remaining 3? Or just leave them as is until I get another code?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not a safety issue so you can wait, but yeah soon enough you'll probably need the passenger's upstream at least.

if it ain't broke don't fix it

Update after a month and a half, no new O2 sensor codes showing up

No need to change 'em in pairs, IMHO.

IMHO, if you're fixing it yourself, one at a time is good.
If using a mechanic, and paying diagnostic fee, replace in pairs.

^ I might do the opposite. Since a mechanic is so expensive for something I could do myself, typically including a part price markup too, at a mechanic's shop I'd only get the one done
If it was DIY instead, while I have it jacked up, under there, with a loaner O2 wrench, I'd pay the ~$30 to get a 2nd sensor and put it on at the same time... might be different if it were a more expensive part.

Back