• Register Today It's free!

Should I ditch?

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Ok guys, I am wondering if I should stick it out with my current X or trade it for a 96+ V8 should I find one. Here is the situation:
I currently have a 97 SOHC and am now hearring intermittnat chain-like noises come from the engine bay. THe engine has 117K miles and has been quite possible one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. I am just growing increasingly concerned about the cam noise and am wondering if I should try to repair myself, or ditch the car for a V8 X. I am moving up to Oregon to go to OHSU for dental school and am going to need very reliable transportation. As I said, this car has been nothing but reliable but how bad is this problem. It rattles for maybe 3-5 seconds after I first start the vehicle and I hear intermittant chain noise at idle or while driving. It isn't constant and it certainly isn't very loud, even my fiance and father can't really hear the noise (except fiance, she just barely can make it out). If it was the dreaded cam noise, would it be very audible or somewhat muffled? I have also noticed knocking while going up steep hills, which would make sense with the timing issues that are associated with the timing chain rattle.
I love my X, but I don't want to have to spend mega $$$ keeping her going and reliability is top on my list right now.
Thanks all!
Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Their is an update for the chain tentioner (sp?), go to the dealer and see if it has been installed, if not have them install it. (I think it is free, dont remember, only one of mine has the update) Their is nothing wring with the chain or anything, it is that the tentioner (sp?) looses pressure (it is oil fed). We have 4 X's, one of them is a 97 4.0 SOHC Eddie Bauer with 216,000 on it. Sounds like he** when you start it but it just keeps on going, wouldn’t think twice about driving it across country.

That's all I needed to hear, thanks. It has been very reliable, it would be a shame to get rid of her just for something as stupid as a stupid tensioner.
216K! That's great, glad to see some members get high miles out of their sohcs.

I think there was a mileage limit on that tho, I'd check into it first. There was a write up on how to replace all of that I believe.

The limit (based on my searches) was 100,000 I thought. I would obviously not fit into this category with 116K miles. I have replaced intake manifold gaskets before so I'm not too worried about the O-rings, but I am terrified of those tensioners, especially the rear ones. I'm not sure if I would trust myself to take my tranny off or take out the engine completely.
About how much mula are we talking if I were to have the rear done? ~1000???

Back