Shudder after brake job | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shudder after brake job

kh0432

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
This one is strange. I have a 98 Explorer XLT AWD and I don't think it has ABS. I changed the rotors and pads on all 4 wheels and brakes work fine. When driving home @ 60 mph, the front end started shuddering so bad that I thought a wheel was loose. Stopped and checked and all was ok. Got close to home and when I would make a turn at slow speed the shudder would start again. Double checked the brakes and wheels and found nothing wrong. Took it out again and since it seemed like a drive train problem, I decided to put it in 4wd. Drove ok so I shifted back to automatic and haven't had the problem since. Anyone else had this happen? Thanks, Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you were moving the wheel around with the engine off and got air in the power steering lines. These rigs are notorious for getting air in the systems. It will work it's way out.

When I was doing the front brakes, I turned the wheel while the engine was off to make it easier to get to the caliper bracket bolts. When I drove the truck after the brake job, I didn't make a lot of turns. I hope your answer is that simple. Thanks, Keith

It is that simple. After you drive it a while the air will work out. It's happened to all of us. Kind of spooky the first time, lol.

At 60 mph I thought the wheels were falling off. Really scary! It's fine now. Thanks for your reply, Keith

Back