Side mirror adjustment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Side mirror adjustment

Fettler

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, Victoria
Year, Model & Trim Level
I just upgraded to an 05 from my 98 and I am relatively happy with the new truck. A few squeaks and rattles that the forum has helped my fix and I had a real nasty LHS rear hub bearing that was hell to fix. Now I am down to the small things to fix and passengers side mirror (RHD) won't adjust in far enough to see the side of the car. All looks okay and it swings in and out it just won't turn in far enough. I have looked at the mirror and it all looks genuine and fitted okay so I am baffled why it is wrong - does any one have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the mirror housing itself set properly? They swing in and out. Worth a shot.

Once you have adjusted it as far as it will go with the power switch, go out to it and adjust it further manually. Just gently push on the mirror (glass part) and you should be able to move it further in the direction that you need. It will make a sort of ratcheting sound, but effectively reseat the mirror lens on the pegs. It sounds like yours is off-center. But be sure to do it gently, otherwise parts will break.

Yes the mirror is locked into the open position on the mount. I have tried moving it in manually but still can't get it turned in close enough to see the side of the car when I look into the mirror. The mirror looks identical to the other side and seems to be mounted in correctly.

Can you post a pic?
How tall are you? (I.e. How far back or forward is the seat?)

You do know that when PROPERLY adjusting your mirrors you ARE NOT supposed to see the right side of your car.

You adjust the right side by moving your head to the middle over the cup holders and adjust until you can see the right side and the left side you move your head about 1 inch from the window and adjust until you can see the left side of the car.

Thanks for the advice - I think nearly everyone I know adjusts their mirrors incorrectly if this is the method. We were taught to use the side mirrors to reverse the car into tight spots so having pointing further in is necessary. I adjusted my wifes car this morning in this method and first thing she said was who has been messing with my mirrors. I will leave mine like this although the troublesome mirror can still only just get in far enough. I am going to try and look for teh same model at a car lot somwhere to see if it is the same. My 1998 Explorer had no issues with this mirror but it maybe an 05 thing. Thanks again for takling the time to reply.

Went today and looked at a 2005 in a car dealer and the LH mirror worked perfectly and I could bring it right into now what I have been incorrect alignment. Is it possible the wrong model mirror could be fitted?

I found the problem for those interested. I got a second hand mirror from a wrecker. When I took the old one off I noted inside it said "made in Taiwan" then I saw the issue. Whoever owned it before me put this aftermarket mirror on but it was for a LHS Drivers door not a LHS Passenger door. The one from the Aussie wrecker fitted and works perfect so I can now go back to aligning my mirror incorrectly.

I found the problem for those interested. I got a second hand mirror from a wrecker. When I took the old one off I noted inside it said "made in Taiwan" then I saw the issue. Whoever owned it before me put this aftermarket mirror on but it was for a LHS Drivers door not a LHS Passenger door. The one from the Aussie wrecker fitted and works perfect so I can now go back to aligning my mirror incorrectly.

Huh, that's a fascinating issue and one I wouldn't have even considered. Thanks for the update, might be helpful to keep in mind if other people ask in the future!

^ Makes sense, but both sides should have the same range of adjustment.

Guess it was just a cheap aftermarket part. Sometimes it pays to buy OEM.

swshawaii the mirrors do have the same range of motor travel but the mirror mount on the passenger side of the vehicle LH or RH drive is slightly different bringing the mirror in closer to to the window. Have a look and compare the mounts and you will see the issue that you can't put a LHS drivers door mirror on LHS passenger door or vice versa.

Back