• Register Today It's free!

Side Mirrors....STRANGE QUESTION

YourNameHere

Reaction score
City, State
Haverhill, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
I noticed today that my power seide mirrors don't fully work correctly.
The Passengers side will go UP and OUT, but when I try to adjust the mirror DOWN or IN, it doesn't move,
The Drivers is the same, except it won't adjust IN.
But In on the driver's side and OUT on the Pass side is the same direction on the switch (if that makes any sense).

Is it just the switch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Strange, but it could be the way the actual glass part attachés to the moving plate. I seriously doubt that it will occur on both sides. Have you had the mirrors apart?

Nah, I just noticed it this afternoon.
I'm thinking it's the switch.

I wouldn't think it is the switch, since the switch seemingly works in both positions. Also, I wouldn't think it would be the mirrors, since it appears both mirrors work in both mirrors. I am thinking perhaps wiring? Have the inside of the doors gotten wet, by any chance?

That's just it, the switch only works in the UP and RIGHT.
The LEFT and DOWN functions do not work.

Not sure if the inside of the door ever got wet. It's a 94 and I've only had it a few weeks. Besides, it would take A LOT of water is poured directly onto the wiring to cause it to malfunction

This problem of up and in but not down and out is because the armature behind the glass has become unsnapped from the mirror backing plate. The armature will PUSH it in and up but it cant PULL it down or out. Reconnect the arm behind the mirror, it snaps into place on the mirror backing plate.

Back