Silverado SS - why does GM even bother? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Silverado SS - why does GM even bother?

Rick, what is your fixation with Dodges lately? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm the last person to defend GM - but I thought I heard they were going to put their new motor in there - I thought was a 502HP?

Originally posted by Hartman
Rick, what is your fixation with Dodges lately? :confused:

I was going to ask the same!! So when are you gonna sell the X for a durango and put a solid axle under it?

Darkfox1 wrote "from what I've seen from chevy vs ford latley tho... ford is going high HP.. chevy is putting SS badges on 240hp v6s... I think the muscle crowd wll still flock to ford in the long run, so I guess chevy is making the SS for the chevy truck enthusiast who can't afford the impracticality of a lightning"

When did a 40k truck become practical anyway?

I like the Dodge full size trucks, what can I say:rolleyes: But for an SUV ya can't beat the Explorers:D

Besides, my first car, a 318 Dart was a Dodge and it ran 11s in the quarter.

all chevies trucks are about 40k.. the silverado Z71 is 38k here

if you want anything decent these days you gotta top 35k

Indeed, but my question remains. Why are these Chevy pickups so expensive? What sets them apart (besides Quadrasteer, which is a 4k add on)? I see nothing special. Even if I wasn't a Ford man, I'd still much rather have a Ford for obvious reasons.

now thats a question I have no idea about the answer to hehe

I mean look at this.. 38k gets you from chevy a 2003 silverado LT loaded option Z71, 5.3L motor 285HP 325 TQ extended cab 3rd/4th (half doors) and a short fleetside bed.

that same $38k will get you an F-150 supercrew FX4 5.4L 265hp 350TQ v8 with 4 full doors, all power options (even stuff like power sliding pedals etc... the lariat package) I've driven both and despite my bias against ford based on my daily driver, I still hafta say the F-150 definatly take the cake in dollar to dollar comparison.

whatsmore.. for about $40k you can get an F-250 supercrew fx4 lariat. very capable truck with the v10 and solid axles.. (think its still solid axle right?).. what I simply cannot figure out is where chevy gets off chariging so much for so much less vehicle

I've been told this is my area tho..are these prices concurrent with what you have seen? maybe trucks are more expensive in the south

I agree. My pops just bought an 03 GMC Sierra. Get this, it had more options on it than a comparable Chevy and Ford F150 but still cost less than both of them. Trucks are just too damned expensive. You could buy a mid level luxury car for the cost of a pick up. I just dont get it

There's a nice article in the latest Truck Trends. It pitted the SS against a F-150 Harley, and 1500 std cab Hemi Ram. The F-150 did the 1/4 around 14.3. The SS did it in 15.0. The Ram did it in 15.1. One can get a Hemi 1500 Ram for starting at $22K, the Ford and Chevy wer at or clos eto $40K. That's pretty good bang for the buck. They were all faster than a Bimmer X5 4.6 :).

Back