Slight engine knock in front right end? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slight engine knock in front right end?

supagray

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0L V8
Hi,
I have a 2001 x Eddie Bauer 5.0 v8 that started knocking this afternoon and has me very concerned. It sounds as if it is coming from the front right end near the alternator and towards the bottom of the engine. No check engine light and the idler pulley feels pretty good to me. One strange thing about this is that it is more constant when the x is idling rather than when I put it into gear. When idling it is more of a knock.knock.knock but when in drive it is more like a knock..knock (period denotes a second) basically just knocks with a higher frequency when in idle even when I step on the gas but probably because the other engine noise muffles the knock. It is also not a very loud knock and can only hear it when under the hood or pulled up next to an object that echoes. Anyways I'm no mechanic but I actually do not think it is a rod but I don't know for sure, and I really hope it is not the timing chain ($$$$). It stills runs like normal without any misses and get my normal mpg, around 23 mpg on the highway. Thinking about getting some engine cleaner to get some carbon buildup out but dunno if its worth a shot, any thoughts or suggestions?

Back