Slightly Longer Lift Shocks

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
I have a maxed out Torsion Bar Twist and Shackles and notice my stock length shocks could use a slight stretch. I don't want to be limited to specialized shocks custom designed for commercial lift kits (James Duff, Superlift, etc.), so I found this detailed spec sheet:
http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/english/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

I searched all shocks with the same mounting points (so it's 100% bolt on) and compared their lengths with my 99 Ex 4x4. I'm not ready to invest, so I'm documenting my work here. I just couldn't figure out what the "Parts Pack" codes represented. I hope that just refers to bolts, because they are different for these shocks.

The rear is easy; the only extended shocks with the same mounts are those for a 2000-2005 Excursion 4WD, which will give you 1.875" less compression, 3.25" extra extension, and 1.375" extra travel distance. The extra 1.375" travel is perfect, but now that I think about it, the 1.875" will limit the compression more and I guess shocks also act as "limiting straps", so with the excessive 3.25" extension, you better make sure your brake line is nice and long.

The 1991-up Jeeps have the longer front shocks with the same mounts. There's a lot of them, incl 91-04 Cherokees & 97-06 Wranglers. The mildest extension, and probably the most perfect front shock for a slightly lifted Ex is for the 84-90 Cherokee & 97-06 Wrangler and most specifically the Monro-Matic Plus #32196 which gives you an extra 1.125" compression, 1.875" extension, which is 3" more of travel. All the other models and Jeep years will give you well over 2 more inches of extension, which might harm your suspension (CV joints) from bottoming out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rancho now makes official slightly longer shocks for the Ex ... but too pricey for me.

For the record, Energy Suspension 9.8101 polyurethane shock tower bushings is the correct model number for our Ex's. They are cheap, so I bought two sets and doubled up the bottom bushing on each shock tower in hopes to give the stock-sized Monroe shocks a 1/2" extension. Probably more like 1/4" after cinching them down.

I got some rancho extended shocks for the explorer from oreilly and they fit freakin perfect I mean these things are %100 better. only $120 for a pair. I got a maxed out torsion twist and lift spindles with 32's.

I got some rancho extended shocks for the explorer from oreilly and they fit freakin perfect I mean these things are %100 better. only $120 for a pair. I got a maxed out torsion twist and lift spindles with 32's.

Do you know the model number of the shocks you bought?

be careful on the full extension,, , if the droop is too much you can actually almost pull the inner cv apart,, i found out the hard way,,

Back