Slightly lowered | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slightly lowered

ARGHHHHH! I put the bolts back in tonite and took it up a half inch. Took the bump stops down a little more. Had the vehicle jacked up when I did this and turned the wheel(vehicle not on), must have put air in the rack or something. It got this weird jerking when turning the wheel, that went away after a little bit(wierd!). And since doing my "Test Drive" with it, it handles a lot better with the bolts in it! And....My passanger CV is clicking :fire:

Would lowering it 1.5" put a lot of extra strain on it? I've had suspisions of that CV going for a while now, could this been the piece of straw that broke the camels back? I'm not going to run it until I can get it into the garage now, get the CV(s) taken care of and get it aligned. Should I have a problem getting it aligned with my drop?

This whole fiasco makes me want to put it at stock height and just be happy. :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

running with a bad CV ain't going to kill nothing. I drove my old acura like that for a few months. it would click like the dickens on a sharp corner

Hokie said:
running with a bad CV ain't going to kill nothing. I drove my old acura like that for a few months. it would click like the dickens on a sharp corner

So when I drive it tomorrow, its not going to fly apart and take out everything underneath? :D I just don't want it to be a safety hazard. I do want to report back here tomorrow evening :p

Looks sweet Todd,
I gotta get mine a bit lower now !!!!!!!!!!!!!

as far as teh cv goes... im guessing its awd? even if the cv grenades, they really dont do anything, they stay together most times nad jsut dont work, definately something to take care off, but if you have 3 otehr ones.... the vehicle will still move....

IAmTodd said:
Had the vehicle jacked up when I did this and turned the wheel(vehicle not on), must have put air in the rack or something. It got this weird jerking when turning the wheel, that went away after a little bit(wierd!). And since doing my "Test Drive" with it, it handles a lot better with the bolts in it! And....My passanger CV is clicking :fire:

That sounds alarmingly like Jack... You know I just replaced the PS rack because of those same symptoms. I had the mystery clicking while you were down here, Todd- only it's gotten worse in the last day or two. I'm beginning to wonder if lowering our X's isn't such a hot idea after all. Everyone says it's natural to expect weird steering and extra wear on the front suspension components though... are we over exaggerating? :confused:

If the cv's are worn any change in their working angle will cause them to become obviously bad. Working at the steeper angle is harder on them, and will cause them to wear faster. How much faster depends on the cv angle, terrain, and maybe a little luck of the draw. The cv's are usually tough and don't actually come apart often. If it does though, you'll know it.

Well, I have now named it, the Death Bounce. Not sure what is really causing it, other than its really bad and dangerous. I'm bringing it up another half inch and hope that cures it and puts it more back into alignment because I couldn't get an appointment until Friday :(

I don't feel that making my truck look good is worth jeopardizing my, and other passangers side.

Would a bad CV cause this vibration type thing?

This is making me have second thoughts about lowering my X... If you lower the rear would it have any more positive effect on your truck? From what I understand the rear is higher than the front.

IAmTodd said:
Well, I have now named it, the Death Bounce. Not sure what is really causing it, other than its really bad and dangerous. I'm bringing it up another half inch and hope that cures it and puts it more back into alignment because I couldn't get an appointment until Friday :(

I don't feel that making my truck look good is worth jeopardizing my, and other passangers side.

get an alighnment. The caster is probibly screwed.

I'm assuming now its just an alignment issue. I raised it a half inch, alignment looks better, rides 100% better, and I now feel safe once again. I will lower it the half inch come Friday when I go to get it aligned. Just pray to god everything is alrite.

After that I will be getting new shocks. Most likely Rancho RS5000. Seems to be the popular choice.

Look's great if u like street trucks

Back