Sloshing sound with full tank | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sloshing sound with full tank

I have the same problem with my 2021 ford explorer xlt. And it has a nasty noise in the back when you hit the brake. They say it's gasoline when it moves. But never in my life had something similar happened to me. And they don't want to solve it for me. I don't know it makes me fair that I pay $42,000 for a defective vehicle.
And I had 2019 ford explorer xlt and I never a hear that sound.
This generation is awesome in so many ways especially my ST but has so many flaws and gremlins. It has left me stranded 3 times so noises from random places are the least of my worries!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem with my 2021 ford explorer xlt. And it has a nasty noise in the back when you hit the brake. They say it's gasoline when it moves. But never in my life had something similar happened to me. And they don't want to solve it for me. I don't know it makes me fair that I pay $42,000 for a defective vehicle.
The fuel tanks are in a different location on the 6th gen. The 5th gen had them in the back and I believe the 6th gen has them on the driver's side.

Peter

You got off pretty good only paying $42,000, I have an ST and it was a few benji's more than that.
This Explorer isn't a 63 Buick.....

You got off pretty good only paying $42,000, I have an ST and it was a few benji's more than that.

This Explorer isn't a 63

This Explorer isn't a 63 Buick.....
But I have a full bumper-to-bumper complete warranty, 20 years or 200,000 and they say they can't fix the problem.

But I have a full bumper-to-bumper complete warranty, 20 years or 200,000 and they say they can't fix the problem.
Although not everyone seems to have this issue, it appears that there is nothing to fix according to other posts. Perhaps it is a bad batch/improperly built fuel tanks. BTW, is that a Ford ESP?

Peter

Although not everyone seems to have this issue, it appears that there is nothing to fix according to other posts. Perhaps it is a bad batch/improperly built fuel tanks. BTW, is that a Ford ESP?

Peter
Ford Explorer XLT 2021

just bought a 2022 explorer xlt Awd 4 months ago since that day perceive a strange noise like something liquid is moving on the back most notable with low speed and downward incline, they already checked 3 times at the dealer and they told me its the fuel tank (the gas moving inside) the say "its normal every explorer has the same noise" i think its not normal its a DEFECT. I have had many cars before and this is the first time i got this annoying noise and its a brand new car, anyone have the same problem here?

Yep. I have the same thing with my 22. I had a 15 Ex that did the same thing. I mostly noticed it when the tank was close to full.

There is a thread on this on here. It's normal and has been on all 6 gens

just bought a 2022 explorer xlt Awd 4 months ago since that day perceive a strange noise like something liquid is moving on the back most notable with low speed and downward incline, they already checked 3 times at the dealer and they told me its the fuel tank (the gas moving inside) the say "its normal every explorer has the same noise" i think its not normal its a DEFECT. I have had many cars before and this is the first time i got this annoying noise and its a brand new car, anyone have the same problem here?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one on the same issue.
FYI, we encourage all members to use the 'Search' feature (top right) before beginning a new thread to see if the issue has already been posted.
Thanks.
BTW, my Aviator does not have this issue nor has it been reported in that Forum. Must be an Explorer thing though I never noticed it on the Explorers I had.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Yours is the first such report. Are you sure the noise is from the fuel tank?

Peter
No he's not the only one my brand new twenty twenty three ford explorer x l t does the same thing

No he's not the only one my brand new twenty twenty three ford explorer x l t does the same thing
That is a 3 year old post. Since then there have been several members posting about the same issue. It appears that it affects a very limited number of the 6th gen Explorers. I can only guess that the fuel tanks may have been improperly built and are missing some or all of the baffles.

How do fuel tank baffles work?

d9GcQxYs6v_zAmIfSvjf5XdjlUevzOh9aCdsR_ysHZqlk6Xg&s.jpg

The baffle plates are basically the flow-directing or obstructing panels inside a fuel tank that direct the flow in the fuel tank and help in keeping the fuel from sloshing around during maneuvering. Although not all sloshing is possible to avoid, but a reduction is extremely helplful while riding the vehicle.

Peter

Back