Sloshing sound with full tank | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sloshing sound with full tank

Currently have this same issue on my 2021 explorer XLT
Interesting to know Ford never fixed this issue. Maybe it’s more pronounced due to the tank location, but this issue just seems wrong for this day and age. It feels like a lack of engineering and quality if it is normal for the gas tank design, location and general sound proofing. Im certainly used to it by now. Also now that I know my Exploder isn’t the only one, I can live with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone else notice the sloshing gas noise with a full tank? I have a loaded XLT.
Yup. Then I noticed it in my F150 like 3 days later. FML.

it slightly bothered me at first but once I found others on here complaining about it I wrote it off as characteristic and moved on.

Anyone else notice the sloshing gas noise with a full tank? I have a loaded XLT.
Yes, they told me it was a symptom of the vehicle but my Dad has the same vehicle without the sloshing. If I was to guess, I think the baffle is missing or broken 😞

Any luck on this? I hve a 2022 XLT. Just filled up for the first time and am having the sloshing sounds.

Any luck on this? I hve a 2022 XLT. Just filled up for the first time and am having the sloshing sounds.
Welcome to the Forum LeAnn. :wave:
If your post is meant for jford1302, the member was last seen here on May 11th so may no longer be following this thread. As far as I know, this appears to be a 'normal' issue for a small number of Explorers. I'm not aware of anyone here reporting a solution for this issue. Have you spoken with the dealership about this? I doubt it would get you anywhere but perhaps you can get them to note the problem in their system.

Peter

If your post is meant for jford1302, the member was last seen here on May 11th so may no longer be following this thread. As far as I know, this appears to be a 'normal' issue for a small number of Explorers. I'm not aware of anyone here reporting a solution for this issue. Have you spoken with the dealership about this? I doubt it would get you anywhere but perhaps you can get them to note the problem in their system.

Peter
Thank you for your reply. I just bought it 12/24. And drive maybe 8 miles a day. So it took a bit to be noticed. I do have an appointment for service January 15. I will update when I find out what they have to say. It still only has 180 miles on it. So hopefully they help 🤞🤞

Peter
Peter/LeAnn
I have reported it since day one (2 years) to no avail.
They acknowledge they hear it, but Ford says it isn't a problem at this time.
James

Thank you for your reply. I just bought it 12/24. And drive maybe 8 miles a day. So it took a bit to be noticed. I do have an appointment for service January 15. I will update when I find out what they have to say. It still only has 180 miles on it. So hopefully they help 🤞🤞
In the least, report it and make sure they put a note in the system so if they ever come up with a solution you have history.

I think jford1302 may have been right that perhaps some of the tanks could have missing or broken baffles.

Peter

Hi leAnn! We had this same issue when we bought last December.
They replaced our gas tank thinking it could be the baffle but the sound was still there.
After that, ford gave me a print out explaining the issues that comes with this vehicle which was pretty much my exact words (felt like they just went and typed it up) of what was going on with it and said it’s just a “characteristic flaw” and no repairs/ replacements need to be made.
But yet they did do a replacement sooooo.
I didn’t like what was happening so I contacted a lemon law attorney.
Ford settled. Each states laws are different but I would contact one ASAP

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Any update?
Sorry I’m way late on this response…. But yes!
They replaced our gas tank thinking it could be the baffle but the sound was still there.
After that, ford gave me a print out explaining the issues that comes with this vehicle which was pretty much my exact words (felt like they just went and typed it up) of what was going on with it and said it’s just a “characteristic flaw” and no repairs/ replacements need to be made.
But yet they did do a replacement sooooo.
I didn’t like what was happening so I contacted a lemon law attorney.
Ford settled.

I find it curious that there aren't more complaints if this is "normal". I don't have the issue with my Aviator and I believe it is the same fuel tank that is used.

Peter

That type of response usually works because people aren’t in a forum where they can compare apples to apples.

I find it curious that there aren't more complaints if this is "normal". I don't have the issue with my Aviator and I believe it is the same fuel tank that is used.

Peter
Plus 1 on that. I've never heard any noise on my ST.

Not only do you hear it but I feel it if my foot is flat on the floor and it's sloshing around. My wife noticed it before me... now we both notice it lol.

We had it on our '20 and '21. Now that I know it's characteristic it doesn't bother me so much. I hardly notice it any more tbh, the only time I do is when pulling in/out of the garage.

We had it on our '20 and '21. Now that I know it's characteristic it doesn't bother me so much. I hardly notice it any more tbh, the only time I do is when pulling in/out of the garage.
I've also learned to ignore the sloshing fuel sounds and most other sounds too. Having driven a Mercedes previously it's taken much time and patience to acclimate to the Explorer's acoustic oddities.

I notice it on my 22. I think my 17 had a similar noise as well.

Funny I hadn't really paid attention until YOU GUYS just HAD to point it out... LOL :)
I just know this is "normal" and honestly I only hear it when backing out of the garage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem with my 2021 ford explorer xlt. And it has a nasty noise in the back when you hit the brake. They say it's gasoline when it moves. But never in my life had something similar happened to me. And they don't want to solve it for me. I don't know it makes me fair that I pay $42,000 for a defective vehicle.
And I had 2019 ford explorer xlt and I never a hear that sound.

Back