Sloshing sound with full tank | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sloshing sound with full tank

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Yours is the first such report. Are you sure the noise is from the fuel tank?

Peter
Negative Peter I reported the "sloshing on November 24th 2019,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you are correct James but it wasn't specifically mentioned or linked that it might be the fuel tank and you also mentioned that you couldn't replicate. There have also been similar reports before about water in the doors. Have you had this fuel tank noise reoccur or was it just the one time?

Peter

Yes, you are correct James but it wasn't specifically mentioned or linked that it might be the fuel tank and you also mentioned that you couldn't replicate. There have also been similar reports before about water in the doors. Have you had this fuel tank noise reoccur or was it just the one time?

Peter
We filled up yesterday and were able to replicate it this morning and could here it rocking the car and starting and stopping. I guess we just got used to it and between the AC on high and the radio we couldn't hear it. We ruled out water in the doors as yesterday was our first rain in 113 days. When rocking it you have a co-listener put their ear down by the bottom of the rear door in front of the left rear tire. On another note has anyone seen the "backup braking aid not available" warning and no there is nothing blocking the sensors.

The fuel tank is under the driver's seat area. As for the braking aid issue, you may want to start a new thread on that.

Peter

The fuel tank is under the driver's seat area. As for the braking aid issue, you may want to start a new thread on that.

Peter
That seems safe, kinda flashed back to the Willy's jeep days. LOL but I think it runs from the drivers seat to the 2nd row seats.

James

Yes. I guess I should have said driver's side. ;)

Peter

We filled up yesterday and were able to replicate it this morning and could here it rocking the car and starting and stopping. I guess we just got used to it and between the AC on high and the radio we couldn't hear it. We ruled out water in the doors as yesterday was our first rain in 113 days. When rocking it you have a co-listener put their ear down by the bottom of the rear door in front of the left rear tire. On another note has anyone seen the "backup braking aid not available" warning and no there is nothing blocking the sensors.

Hello James, I am slow on catching up with all the posts so please ignore this if you have already got a response and resolution for the "backup braking aid not available issue". I did some test on my vehicle ( I have a 2020 ST) and the same message pops up if I put it in Reverse with any of the doors open. If I put it in Reverse with all doors and liftgate closed, then it does Not show up.

Hello James, I am slow on catching up with all the posts so please ignore this if you have already got a response and resolution for the "backup braking aid not available issue". I did some test on my vehicle ( I have a 2020 ST) and the same message pops up if I put it in Reverse with any of the doors open. If I put it in Reverse with all doors and liftgate closed, then it does Not show up.
It has been awhile since I have seen this error but mostly I am backing into my driveway so nothing is opened at that time.

Just leased a 2020 ST last night, having same problem. Did anyone ever solve the gas slosh problem?

Just leased a 2020 ST last night, having same problem. Did anyone ever solve the gas slosh problem?

I had it checked completely by the dealer. They said everything is intact and how it is supposed to be. They also said, they tested few other ST's and all of them do the same so they said it was normal.

I had it checked completely by the dealer. They said everything is intact and how it is supposed to be. They also said, they tested few other ST's and all of them do the same so they said it was normal.
Dealers aren’t very honest. Seems weird they’d add plastic trim under the car for noise suppression but leave an audible sloshing sound.

Dealers aren’t very honest. Seems weird they’d add plastic trim under the car for noise suppression but leave an audible sloshing sound.

They also let me drive a new Navigator (just move it a bit within the parking lot) because I wanted to check if that make any similar sloshing sound. It was getting ready for delivery so they had also filled gas in it and to my astonishing surprise, that too make the sloshing noise in parking lot sudden stops. The sloshing felt a little different when compared to the feel probably because the fuel tank is located at a different place than the ST but it definitely had it.

So I told myself, if a 100K vehicle makes that noise, then I am ready to live with my 60K vehicle making that noise.

Welcome to the Forum Rob. :wave:
FYI, I believe the fuel tank is located on the driver's side between the driver and driver side passenger seats. It may be in the 6th picture, covered in black, posted in this thread. Under view of 2020 Explorer ST
I believe it is the same for the Aviator but I have not heard any such sound.

Peter

I’m glad I’m not the only one, I have 1.5k miles on it and there is this weird slashing sound almost below me when I brake or come to a stop I can feel what I think is the gasoline slashing inside the gas tank also there are a lot of weird suspension brake noises.. I don’t really know what to do also i noticed a lot of plastic miscellaneous parts around the car that are not installed properly are completely loose also missing the eco boost badge

Yes!! I noticed it initially in a parking lot when I was stopping to park. Then I started noticing it more often than not. I can feel it on the floorboard and unlike others, my passenger hears it. I gave the XLT which has a long list for me of issues and disappointments. I hadn’t thought it was the fuel tank. Honestly, I’d hoped it was suspension related to further explain some of the issues there.

I’m glad I’m not the only one, I have 1.5k miles on it and there is this weird slashing sound almost below me when I brake or come to a stop I can feel what I think is the gasoline slashing inside the gas tank also there are a lot of weird suspension brake noises.. I don’t really know what to do also i noticed a lot of plastic miscellaneous parts around the car that are not installed properly are completely loose also missing the eco boost badge
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As far as the incorrectly installed parts etc., go back to the dealership and have them check that out. If you had noticed that in the first week of ownership, that would all have been fixed for you. There is a separate thread on suspension noises; Multiple suspension noises

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As far as the incorrectly installed parts etc., go back to the dealership and have them check that out. If you had noticed that in the first week of ownership, that would all have been fixed for you. There is a separate thread on suspension noises; Multiple suspension noises

Peter
I will go back to the dealership and have all that checked out for me this weekend.

Currently have this same issue on my 2021 explorer XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back