Slow cranking/radio reset on cold days | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slow cranking/radio reset on cold days

Armyguydan

Reaction score
City, State
Moscow Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer 4x4
OK, I have a 1995 ford explorer, completly stock and every morning the truck cranks slow and when it starts up, all my saved stations are reset. I am having the battery checked today, starter was replaced about 10 months ago. Alternator about 2 years ago. I forgot to check today to see if when i put my key in before i start it if my stations are reset or if they do it after i try to start it. If they tell me the battery is fine i will check that tomorow. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slow cranking plus presets gone - certainly sounds like the battery level. Question is - is it the battery not holding the charge, or is it the alternator not giving enough amps to charge the battery. How old is battery? When truck is running at night, do lights dim when you are at idle?

Definately a CCA issue with the battery.

Sounds like battery concern.

As the temperature drops your battery loses power, specifically CCA. You probably have a bad battery.

I'd say bad battery as well. Seen the same thing happen to me in the summer with temperatures over 110*F and on a VW Jetta this week, with 20*F weather here in NYC.

OK, battery was bad. BUT i put in a new battery, drove it around to charge it and...

Next morning go to start up my truck and.....wont start.

Turns over fine but after checking some items, found out i have no fuel pressure. Fuel pump is not comming on, and if it does, it is only comming on for about 1/2 a second. While key is in on position, i have pressed the fuel pressure releif valve and there is NO fuel comming out of it. I have check the fuses for the fuel pump, replaced the relay and still cannot get the fuel pump to come on. I have also checked the inertia switch and that is not the problem. Only thing left to do is change fuel filter to make sure its not clogged.

Does anyone know of anything else besides the fuel pump relay and fuel pump fuses that could stop the fuel pump from turning on? The reason i was thinking about the filter, is 1, i have never replaced it in my 45K of driving this vehicle, and 2, if it was clogged, that could explain the pump not comming on to prime(i think).

if the filter does not fix it, i am pulling out my dremel and cutting the hole out under the drivers side rear seat as i am a disabled vet and cannot drop a fuel tank myself anymore.

Thanks for reading

Check the wiring to the fuel pump before you replace it. Could just be a broken wire somewhere. Get out the multimeter and check for continuity.

Back