Smoke Car Smell in friends Honda (honda is crap in my opinion) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smoke Car Smell in friends Honda (honda is crap in my opinion)

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
my friend just bought a 99 honda civic hatchback dx manual, and the person before he bought it smoked really really bad because his whole car stinks. Is this going to be permanent? or will this be able to be fixed? Personally i think i could drive right over his civic and not feel anything. I know this is a explorer board, and i own a explorer, but this is just a general question on how to rid a car of a smoke smell

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as far as I know ,the only way to get rid of that smell is to replace the interior, carpet.. seats. etc. that is.. the apholstry. I agree with you about hondas, I'm very tired of seeing them and the eminem inpersonators that sometimes drive them. Try some odoban and/or febreeze.. it helps, but doesn't fix. you may also wanna try and have it detailed, sometimes that smell can be lessened at least with the chemicals they use to clean interiors.

yea.. if you had a rolling start and a lift.. you'd cruise right over those little crappy cars.. honda drivers here always act like they are so bad a$$, but they swerve like a nutcase to avoid a bump in the road.. if I ever race one.. I want it to be on a bumpy road.. ;)

Fabreeze!!!! This thing work wonders!!

smoke smell

The smoke smell can be eliminated in a couple of different ways. If you want to do it yourself, make sure to thoroughly clean all the interior surfaces including the windows. Then I would recommend renting a carpet extraction machine, preferably a hot water machine, and shampoo the carpeting and upholstery. Most of the smell is trapped in the headliner and you cannot shampoo that, so I might recommend spraying a cleaning solution onto a terry cloth towel and rub as much of the dirt and nicotine film off as you can. After that try some Febreeze or similar product using the same procedure as above. Or if you can find a professional detailer who has an ozone machine, they work wonders. But make sure to thoroughly clean all interior surfaces first. It is not an overnight process, but done right the smell will eventually go away.

OZONE

Ditto on the Ozone machine. I have one in my house and have used it in vehicles. It works great, eliminates all odors. Smoke damage companys use these also, like after a house fire.
The Mfg. also makes small 12V units for cars
(plugs into cig lighter)
Alot less work to!
If you are interested I'll post the website

Febreeze is only a temporary fix. Whenever I use it for smoke smells or anything else, it may smeel ok for a while, but pretty soon it just smells like Febreeze and smoke (or whatever you put it on). Try putting a few charcoal briquettes under the seats and stuff and see how that works after a few days, but be sure to roll down the windows.

I'd suggest having it done at a good, reputable detail shop. I'd make sure to specifically mention the smoke problem and the ozone treatment. If O2 is good, O3 has to be better! (LOL). I bought a 7 yo, 130K used car that the seller had detailled first by a pro. Even for a cynical cautious man, I couldn't resist being seduced by that awesome, showroom shape interior.

Re: OZONE

Originally posted by srpauliesr
Ditto on the Ozone machine. I have one in my house and have used it in vehicles. It works great, eliminates all odors. Smoke damage companys use these also, like after a house fire.
The Mfg. also makes small 12V units for cars
(plugs into cig lighter)
Alot less work to!
If you are interested I'll post the website

ya i ve seen those things in peoples cars before. pass on the website, id be intersted in somethin that will maintain a clean smell in my car

Re: Re: OZONE

Originally posted by tac0meat

ya i ve seen those things in peoples cars before. pass on the website, id be intersted in somethin that will maintain a clean smell in my car

That what the unit does. It cleans the air with neg. ions.

first off, the DX hatch is the perfect car for an engine swap if your friend is into that kind of thing. B-18c1 or B-16a and youll be surprising mustangs. anyway, just wanted to add, that once the smoke smell is in the A/C then forget about getting it out. i let people smoke in my car occasionally but if they do, then i just shut the A/C. the recirc (max a/c) recirculates the air in teh car, the air filled with smoke, thats what stinks up the car. oh yeah, tell him to toss/replace the ash trays. those provide a ton of funk if you ask me.

He should take it to a professional detailer, have the whole interior done and have it hit with the ozone machine. It does WONDERS. I dont smoke anymore, but every once and a while I have customers who will smoke in my car. When they do, I have them run the ozone machine in it when I get it washed and the smell is gone.

Back