girlfriend wants to trade her honda for an X. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

girlfriend wants to trade her honda for an X.

EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
well my girlfriend wants to trade her 94 honda civic dx with 92,000 miles on it, in realnice condition just needs cleaned out on inside..... owes like $3,000 on it

for a 91 explorer xlt, with 123,000 miles, the normal rust spots on the lower rocker panels on both sides and some on the lower hatch door, and no payments.

the explorer is a friend of ours, trying to do a stright up trade, however they might not go for that. I think they are getting a deal out of this to begin with. i think the honda and like 500 bucks would be fair

what do you guys think, my girlfriend really wants this explorer...its great shes getting sucked in to the explorer hype too!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not to diss an explorer.... but i would personaaly keep the honda.... unless she really wants the explorer..... but in my opinion and from a mechanic standpoint, the civic most likely will prove to be a longer lasting, more reliable, and cheaper overall car....

yes i know the honda will probably run alot longer as well as you do.

however she doesn't want to pay 167 a month for it. she will be going to school in the fall, and doesn't want to have to worry about working to make the payments on it.

also the explorer has been owned by our friends family the entire time.
her honda is a stick, and she hates it, never has liked driving it.

You cant lift that Honda ;) Get the X, keep the girl, and wheel together. :)

Lower it and throw some 20's on it, Oh yeah and marry that girl.

Not a Girl's Car

If she doesn't want to make payments on that Honda, she just needs to get rid of it and buy another compact econo-box with an auto. She is going to be going from something where she always knows it will run regardless to something where the transmission will fail at anytime. Not a good decision IMO.

I would keep the Honda, that Honda will outlast an Explorer!;) If she really wants an Explorer, go with a 2002 or 2003.

Imports is the way to go.

Don

'91 Explorer with 123k......just the right time for things to go bad, such as the tranny. As much as I hate Honda's, it would probably be in her best interest to keep it. :(

Hartman, im just curious... but why does so many people on these boards hate Honda's, Toyotos, ect....???

I see this all the time here.

Not to step on anyones toes or anything, or get any pissed off at me but, i find most people say they hate Imports because... they are better quality then American.

This is a well known fact to!;)

Don

Well you never see anyone restoring a Honda

Its not that we hate imports. Its that we hate RICE. the foolish mods that make a vehicle look like its fast when in actuality it is not.

I don't have anything against Toyotas but I do Hondas. Every honda I see has absolutely no style to them at all except the S2000. I know they are very reliable it is just they are but ugly. Unfortunatly I do agree she should keep the Honda. $167 amonth for payments is not bad at all.
Just a word off caution beware of Taurus and Sable. I have to get my wifes 97 tranny rebuilt to the tune of $1500-$1800 :mad: :eek:

i agree... i dont hate hondas or any imports except the slow ones that are riced out..... on another note though, hondas and similar have very cramped engine compartments and when changing the oil on any honda, i always seem to burn myself on the exhuast manifold.... i think the engine bays are too cramped to service.... i used to have a toyota tercel that just would not die... it was a great ar... and i did do some pretty hard core wheeling with it too....

don,
the reason she wants the explorer is so she can have a car and NO PAYMENTS ON IT.

if she bought a 2002, 2003 explorer that would only set her back oh bout 25,000 or more,.....Not a smart idea if one is going to start college in the fall,

good advice though!
the 2003 are sweet

Sorry, i didnt know she wanted to avoid that rte!

Keep the Honda, she will be alot better off with it. In the long run, it will be better.

Don

No trade

My personal opinion, I would keep the Honda. I love my '92 Eddie Bauer, I've put a lot of money into for repairs, but if I the choice to keep my X or get a newer vehicle and it's a foriegn one, I'm sorry, I would go for the foriegn automobile.

Sorry to say, the quality is just better! Perhaps she could look for a used Honda suv...Passport came out in '94/95, maybe she can look for one that year - she'd come out better. If it's a 'cash' thing, tell her to save up a little more.

hey elite, totally off subject, but do you have any pics of your brakelight/turn sig mod?? that'd be great:)

generation x,

my friend has them on his digital camera.....but i can't seem to meet up with him lately..

should have them soon, i'll try to let u know when i get them

Can anyone here read? She is moving from a vehicle that she owes on to one that she wouldn't owe anything on!!! Hello??? It makes perfect sense to me! Car payments suck! If she can drive the Explorer for what 4 years and make it through school with it then she won.

Sorry to say but if she can drive it for even two years sell it and buy another cheapo vehicle with those profits then she is still going to come out better then having to pay $167 a month!

Yeah im sure we all can read!

Trading a Honda for a Ford would be down right stupid, she will end up paying for it in the long run!! That Explorer has over 100k, how much longer do you think it will last?? NOt much longer!;)

American made junk, NOW THATS THE WAY TO GO...:rolleyes:

Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everyone keeps saying that at this point the Explorer is about ready to die, so to stay away from it. But isn't it also possible that at this point it already has died and has been rebuilt so it's new? I know it's not likely if the guy is ready to trade it for a Honda, but still, it'd be worth knowing for sure

Back