Snow chains on all four or only the rear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snow chains on all four or only the rear?

Hi all. I did a quick search and couldn't find an answer.
I've got an '03 4WD Explorer XLT, and I'm doing some skiing with the kids this winter (here in NZ). My owners manual says NOT to put chains on the front wheels, though my understanding is this improves steering.
The staff on the mountain say chains on the front is the only way to go.
Several internet sites say chains on all four or you're wasting your time.
I'll probably be going up the mountain weekly, dirt road, usually with light to moderate snow cover.
Bridgestone Dueler A/T on the back, H/T on the front (that's how I bought it, will change to A/T x 4 later on)

http://www.nzski.com/mountain.jsp?site=mthutt

Look forward to some sound advice - Craig :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done a fair bit of driving in snow with chains on my Explorer, and unless you really are in some very bad snow or ice, chains on the back are sufficient. The recommendation against front chains in the manual is probably to protect the truck from getting beaten up by the chains when turning if they aren't tight to the tires.

Have you ever driven your Explorer in snow without chains? With a good set of tires, you can get through quite a bit of snow without chains.

Thanks for that JD.

On the mountain I use, there are staff at a chain fitting bay at the bottom. These are also the people who have to pick you out of the ravines if your car goes over the edge.

Each day, the snow report will specify chains on 2WD only, or chains on 4WD as well. You have no choice - no chains, no access. The Explorer handles really well in the snow, but if they say chains, I put 'em on.

I really was curious about the manual's recommendation, I thought it may have something to do with clearance, suspension etc.

Cheers

i believe the reason they say that is because when you steer, if the chains are too loose, they could possible catch on a control arm or something, and cause serious damage.

if you put the chains on well, i think it will be ok.

you should be fine with only chains on back. personally i never use chains unless im in snow that is over 1 1/2ft deep. i live in mt and do ALOT of snow driving,
if they only require you to put chains on the back, then do that, just to be safe, if they make you put them on all fours, then make sure they do it well and install them tightly.

these would probly be safe for your front if your still concerned about the front tires:
http://www.flextrax.com/fitV3.php

The manual probably does say that since actual chains on the front are more likely to catch on something, or people without much sense are liable to be driving at high enough speeds with chains and take a turn that the chains would then contact something or even cause some kind of accident (i.e. rollover) with the unexpected increased traction.

Chains on the front only is a Front-Wheel-Drive thing. But even then, it's not really safe to have the rear fishtailing.

In reality, on a 4WD, for off-road snow use, chains on all 4 wheels is the ONLY way to go if you're after ultimate snow traction. If you're going up or down steep slopes, the end without chains has a severe traction disadvantage, and can slide out. This means if you're going downhill, you'll either have zero steering, or have the back end come around on you, causing either a sideways rollover, or the whole thing to turn around and go down backwards, if you're lucky.

It's not as severe for road use, even a packed dirt road, you can probably get away with just using chains on the rear when they're required. It's also fine to just have them handy for putting on the rear to get unstuck or when going through an area where there a good chance you'll get stuck. Just go slow. Putting them on the front-only of a RWD/4WD makes NO sense and is actually dangerous, especially in 4WD.

If you get the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, with 4x4, you probably won't need chains unless the snow is DEEP..or really wet packed stuff. Of course, it's better to have at least one pair of chains for whenever you might need them, rather than need them and not have them. If nothing else, they add a little weight to the rear end when they're stored.

If you want a set of chains, makes sense to grab them during the warmer months, maybe you can find a really good price.

If you only have one set of chains, they always go on the drive wheels.

It gets tricky with a 4WD since in 4WD, the front wheels move too.

I would still say chains on the rear wheels, either keeping in it 2WD, or just because you can deal with poor steering more than you can deal with the rear end sliding all over the place.

That Dueler is the Dueler Revo..or at least they call it the Revo in the U.S...we have a few other tires with the "Bridgestone Dueler" name.

The Firestone Destination AT's seem to be getting rave reviews as an all-terrain tire that does well all around, too.

Good tires make a huge difference in getting the best snow traction from your SUV. Chains will help just about anything, but it's great if your AT tires (and maybe 4WD) let you get around just fine when everyone else has to chain up their highway tires just to get around.

if your looking for a god at tire, yokahoma gealander a/t is great! we have them on the ranger which also sees alot of snow here in mt, and they perform really well in snow, and really well on road.

if you only have one set of chains, deffinately put them in the rear.

you just need to steer and brake caustioulsy on ice

good luck

If you only have one set of chains, they always go on the drive wheels.

Exactly. If you had only been able to save these morons... :D

MustangSnowChains.jpg

lmfao that pic is great hahahahaah

Just an update -- I went up the mountain again last week. About 100 cars in the chain fitting bay so, with Anime's advice still fresh, I just pushed the 4WD button and relied on my AT's. Packed dirt road, light snow -- it was a breeze.

Priced Dueler ATs here, NZ$256 each, and the tyre dealer recommended Cooper STs (at an extra NZ$80 each) because he reckoned they'd last twice as long.

Any thoughts on Cooper ST vs Dueler AT?

My Duelers would come from Japan, the Coopers from the States.

Sooo many choices, but we're up the mountain again tomorrow :)

On a 3rd Gen with the 245/65-17 there is only 10mm or less of clearance between the steering knuckle and tire. Not that much clearance for a chain.
I had Michelin LTX A/T on a heep, even with a unlocked center diff it would never get any tire spin. Lock the center and it was like a snowmobile. Best Snow tire i've ridden, but a little pricey.

Back