Snow mode rear end "sway" | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snow mode rear end "sway"

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one.
The best thing to do for traction and safety is to use dedicated Winter tires.
See the post above yours for the problem that the thread starter found. Has the dealer checked your toe link? Have you had the Recall done?

Peter
They said they did the toe link. It's supposed to snow Monday so the Explorer is going to stay there until then. I dont want to spend any money on tires because it should not swing back back and forth like that even with all season radials. The Jeep has been run for 4 winters with some pretty worn tires and doesnt sway in the snow at all. I've never run winter tires on any car in 30 plus years of Maine winters and never had a problem. I'd be interested to see if Jesse Bs issue is solved. Hopefully they get to take it out in the snow and report back. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK..... so I picked the Explorer up tonight. The dealership said the toe link was done already. They said they checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I got about 12 miles down the road and the rain turned to about 1/4 inch of slush. It got to the point where I couldn't go faster than 20 to 25 mph. Holding the steering wheel still, it would steer over the yellow line into the other lane and then steer back over and cross the white line. It felt like the rear wheels were steering/controlling the car. It felt like I was driving on 4 bald tires.The tires are the same as the tires on my HHR. They have 3/4 plus tread. My driveway is uphill, 100 feet long, and icy. I stepped on the gas and the wheels didn't spin. They grabbed and shot me forward. It will be going back tomorrow. If it's going to turn to snow like it's supposed to, I'm going to have it towed. There's no way I'm going to attempt to drive it 51 miles back there.

OK..... so I picked the Explorer up tonight. The dealership said the toe link was done already. They said they checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I got about 12 miles down the road and the rain turned to about 1/4 inch of slush. It got to the point where I couldn't go faster than 20 to 25 mph. Holding the steering wheel still, it would steer over the yellow line into the other lane and then steer back over and cross the white line. It felt like the rear wheels were steering/controlling the car. It felt like I was driving on 4 bald tires.The tires are the same as the tires on my HHR. They have 3/4 plus tread. My driveway is uphill, 100 feet long, and icy. I stepped on the gas and the wheels didn't spin. They grabbed and shot me forward. It will be going back tomorrow. If it's going to turn to snow like it's supposed to, I'm going to have it towed. There's no way I'm going to attempt to drive it 51 miles back there.
If anyone believes there is a problem that a dealer can't verify, I encourage them to take the vehicle elsewhere for an inspection/test drive so another qualified mechanic can determine if there really is a problem. At some point it is necessary to step away from the computer and deal with problems directly.

The 'wandering' could signal an issue with the EPAS system.

Peter

Did the dealer test drive it or just put it up on a lift?

If anyone believes there is a problem that a dealer can't verify, I encourage them to take the vehicle elsewhere for an inspection/test drive so another qualified mechanic can determine if there really is a problem. At some point it is necessary to step away from the computer and deal with problems directly.

I'm just going to bring it back tomorrow. For $24,000 , I expect a mechanically sound vehicle that functions properly. It was driven home on clear roads. That night it snowed and my wife took it out to work and got a few miles down the road and had to turn around. The next day we drove it back on clear roads. They had it at the Ford dealership until last night. It runs fine on clear roads but any amount of snow or slush and it goes all to hell.

Did the dealer test drive it or just put it up on a lift?

The Ford dealership says they went over from end to end and couldn't find anything wrong with it. It drives perfect on clear roads. I live 50 miles north of the Dealership where there is snowy slushy roads. They haven't had any snow down there where they are, so they're test driving it on clear roads.

I'm just going to bring it back tomorrow. For $24,000 , I expect a mechanically sound vehicle that functions properly. It was driven home on clear roads. That night it snowed and my wife took it out to work and got a few miles down the road and had to turn around. The next day we drove it back on clear roads. They had it at the Ford dealership until last night. It runs fine on clear roads but any amount of snow or slush and it goes all to hell.
Anyone online can only guess, so the only thing I can suggest is a non-dealer tech for follow-up to confirm no suspension/alignment issues. Other than that, if it were epas steering issue, I would expect it to wander in all conditions.

Other guesses are maybe brake issues (maybe one rear brake is dragging) which could cause squirreliness in slick conditions.

I am assuming all other basic stuff has been verified, like tires all match, tread is good and similar depth on all, tire pressures are good, no prior accidents/frame damage, and so on.

That's a good ideal to just have a non-dealer tech local to you that can drive it on the snowy/slushy roads and hopefully can duplicate the problem.

Does this also happen in Normal mode?

Peter

If it only happens in "snow mode", easiest solution is don't use snow mode. It's a fwd vehicle with awd add on. If the fr/rr bias is changed in snow mode to a more rear bias, every time you give it gas on a slippery surface, the rear could lose traction until the system counteracts it. I don't have snow mode, but I can make the rear end break loose on slippery roads/turns. I can also make the vehicle feel squirrely if I try to outdrive the conditions.

If it just happens when driving in snow, regardless of mode, get the vehicle checked out.

In my case the rear end (Tires) were way out of alignment. That and snow tires this season is a dramatic improvement and it's not longer an issue.
Not sure how brand new vehicle would be that far out but...

In my case the rear end (Tires) were way out of alignment. That and snow tires this season is a dramatic improvement and it's not longer an issue.
Not sure how brand new vehicle would be that far out but...
Winter tires are always a good idea, especially where you live.

Peter

Winter tires are always a good idea, especially where you live.

Peter
Hi Got a 13 explorer and had a huge sway when right front wheel hit some ice in normal mode as I don’t use snow mode much Thought I was going to lose it and possibly roll. I live in Canada and never had this problem before. But I did just get new shafts put in the front as cv was clicking Very good snow tires. It felt to me that the computer was sending signals to the wheels. It felt like a old heavy car with no sway bar. It’s at the dealer right now. But very weird that this happened after the shafts where changed But that being said and reading the post I’m wandering if the problem is in the rear ??? Will try and keep you posted

Mine felt loose. My mechanic discovered the rear recall work was hand tight. Hasn't snowed since. Might be some truth to it being in the rear.

We just experienced the same issues yesterday. We bought this explorer used this spring.
We just drove across MN after an ice /snow storm left the interstate a mess. The roads were a sheet of ice and I could not control the 2017 explorer. At 30mph the rear end was sliding all over the place, odd because the advanced 4WD screen says power is only going to front axel. (We were being passed by KiA’s and similar vehicles that were not having issues- and I was struggling to keep the explorer going straight.). It’s not a tire issue I’ll guarantee you that.

The best way I can describe it is it’s like a random rear wheel isn’t rolling freely and has some kind of rolling resistance which cause the loss of control when on icy surfaces.

Like the others have said.
-It’s only when on glare ice.
-neither normal or snow mode helped.

I won’t let my wife drive the vehicle this way. It’s extremely unsafe and an accident waiting to happen.

Any help will be grateful. The vehicle will be going back to the dealer and I’ll keep this forum posted.

I had search hard to find this post, I figured I
was the only one.
I have 2017 xlt and it handles like crap . I seriously think something is wrong and if I had purchased it used I would say it was wrecked and the vehicle is tweaked. It's really when you have mixed traction like spotty snow covered with exposed pavement.
Solid hard pack snow or new snow you dont notice it much.
It darts back and forth starting in the rear end. Almost like you give 2 wheel drive truck gas and break ass end loose slightly and then let up and it grabs again. But its constant and both ways. You can hold the steering wheel straight and your body will be jerked on both directions as it passes over the dry road spots and hooks up. Passenger side to drivers side motion. It was so bad I purchased new tires thinking that was it. New tires did help but it's still there.
My wife described it as the rear wheel lug nuts were all loose. She new takes my 150 to work casue this explorer handles terrible. Why does my pick up in 2 wheel drive handle like a dream and this explorer is horrible will not go down a road mixed snow covered without you looking like your driving a rally car?
I am really not sure, is it the wide tires? 255/50/20 is what is on there..
It's like the rear end is at a different speed and that cant happen I know but we just had to put a new rear end in it at 38K miles so maybe the rear axle is not bolted up if I speak sarcastically.
It is worse when you have patchy hard packed mixed with exposed dry pavement. Like when you have the wagon wheel tracks down the road and everything else is covered, You would think it would be better when you have some tires on dry road but that's when it darts the most. I bet people following me are like , look at the vehicle move side to side.
Wide profile tires or something else?

This is a great description of what is happening.

At 30mph the rear end was sliding all over the place, odd because the advanced 4WD screen says power is only going to front axel.
Just a thought, if the advanced AWD screen is not showing the rear wheels are powered when they should be maybe the PTU is failing.
Have any of you had the Dealers check the fluid in the PTU's of your vehicles? Meaning, they actually open the PTU units "fill" or "drain" plugs and test for fluid level, it's color and condition or even change it. They are probably going to say the PTU is a sealed unit but we know they are not and many came with low fluid or the fluid is burnt from use (my babied Explorer's PTU failed at 29k miles). Many forum members change their PTU fluid as a preventative measure and even the Owner's Manual says the fluid can be changed so don't let them tell you different: "The PTU lube will be more likely to require a fluid change if the vehicle has experienced extended periods of extreme/severe duty cycle driving" - to me that can mean it was often driven in winter snow or many other conditions.
To sum up: Check the PTU fluid if you haven't already done so.

I will definitely bring that up to the dealership. This 2017 explorer does have 40k miles on it.

When accelerating from a stop the screen shows power going to all wheels and you can feel it working properly. Then once you let off the accelerator and then reaccelerate the screen only shows power to the front end.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will definitely bring that up to the dealership. This 2017 explorer does have 40k miles on it.

When accelerating from a stop the screen shows power going to all wheels and you can feel it working properly. Then once you let off the accelerator and then reaccelerate the screen only shows power to the front end.
That seems normal if not reaccelerating hard.

Peter

Back