Snow mode rear end "sway" | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snow mode rear end "sway"

We finally got some significant snow again. Not that I am at all happy about that, but it gave me an opportunity to check out the performance after the alignment. I am pretty confident the alignment fixed my issue as I was driving on some snow/ice covered roads and was not experiencing the same sensation of sliding all over. It seems that after the warranty repair, they did not get things aligned back up. Hopefully that is it for this problem, for me at least.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had search hard to find this post, I figured I
was the only one.
I have 2017 xlt and it handles like crap . I seriously think something is wrong and if I had purchased it used I would say it was wrecked and the vehicle is tweaked. It's really when you have mixed traction like spotty snow covered with exposed pavement.
Solid hard pack snow or new snow you dont notice it much.
It darts back and forth starting in the rear end. Almost like you give 2 wheel drive truck gas and break ass end loose slightly and then let up and it grabs again. But its constant and both ways. You can hold the steering wheel straight and your body will be jerked on both directions as it passes over the dry road spots and hooks up. Passenger side to drivers side motion. It was so bad I purchased new tires thinking that was it. New tires did help but it's still there.
My wife described it as the rear wheel lug nuts were all loose. She new takes my 150 to work casue this explorer handles terrible. Why does my pick up in 2 wheel drive handle like a dream and this explorer is horrible will not go down a road mixed snow covered without you looking like your driving a rally car?
I am really not sure, is it the wide tires? 255/50/20 is what is on there..
It's like the rear end is at a different speed and that cant happen I know but we just had to put a new rear end in it at 38K miles so maybe the rear axle is not bolted up if I speak sarcastically.
It is worse when you have patchy hard packed mixed with exposed dry pavement. Like when you have the wagon wheel tracks down the road and everything else is covered, You would think it would be better when you have some tires on dry road but that's when it darts the most. I bet people following me are like , look at the vehicle move side to side.
Wide profile tires or something else?
We are experiencing the same exact thing with my wife's vehicle. New tires, New rear wheel bearing and the dealership replaced the rear toe links from a recall. The dealership had done an alignment at the time. But now it's exactly how you described. What ended up bering the problem?

We are experiencing the same exact thing with my wife's vehicle. New tires, New rear wheel bearing and the dealership replaced the rear toe links from a recall. The dealership had done an alignment at the time. But now it's exactly how you described. What ended up bering the problem?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing that you don't have dedicated winter tires. That could be part of the problem. I haven't experienced this issue with any of the vehicles I've had and I use winter tires. Not saying that is the solution but I don't know what else would cause your issue. Is the traction control coming ON when this happens?
BTW, you will get not get an answer from the member you quoted as he was last seen here exactly 4 years ago today. Good luck.

Peter

I'm guessing that you don't have dedicated winter tires. That could be part of the problem. I haven't experienced this issue with any of the vehicles I've had and I use winter tires. Not saying that is the solution but I don't know what else would cause your issue. Is the traction control coming ON when this happens?
BTW, you will get not get an answer from the member you quoted as he was last seen here exactly 4 years ago today. Good luck.

Peter
We've had a 2016 explorer and now the 2017. Driven them with all season tires the whole time. Approximately 4 years. We live in Central Michigan and never had the problem. Also had the recall repair done to the links on the rear. Paid
for a 4 wheel alignment. The tires look like they are not going straight down the road. Almost like the rubber is being shaves off. Tires were bought new 2 weeks prior to having the recall work done. Pretty sure they didn't do the alignment

The problem with the recall "fix" for the toe links is that they are not adjustable. To properly align the rear, the mechanic needs to use a ratchet strap or have a helper position the wheel into place. After recall work, our Explorer went through 2 new tires in 9 weeks. The rear felt like driving on ice.
The dealer replaced the tires with no questions and shared the information on the rear alignment. We decided to go with Steeda rear links (and sway bar)since safety of the Ford parts is questionable. The Steeda parts have exceeded expectations and well worth the cost. Now the ride is predictable , more like a sedan and actually fun to drive

I purchased new all season's but the root problem is still there. 2 things, it's a explorer issue with the design and tire width or there is something wrong in rear end.

After I installed new tires it did handle better in the most recent snow storm but why can my 2017 F150 drive across an slick/icy overpass and no flinch in 2 wheel drive but when I did it in the explorer I am sawing the wheel as soon as the tires hit the other side. The vehicle is already getting out of shape.
My theory is being I already had to have a new rear end put in my 2017 explorer that maybe there is slight wheel drag on the rear end/tires from something in transfer case maybe.
It's a stretch but why would any time the wheels get on slippery surface does the rear end start to move around? Fresh deeper snow not as noticable but hard packed and ice my 150 in 2 wheel drive is much better that the XLT in all wheel , either winter or normal mode. Still handles like back tires have e brake applied.

My next step is 4 wheel alignment to rule that out.

Lots of police use the explorer by me so I have hard time believing they all handle this bad.
Did you ever find resolution on this? dealing with a similar issue in a 2013 explorer I recently bought used.

Did you ever find resolution for this? I have a similar issue on a 2013 model I recently purchased used. I plan to go after the brakes first and replace calipers/pads.
The member you quoted was last seen here on December 15, 2019, so likely is no longer following.
Do you have dedicated winter tires? That is always the first question. If not, even they won't help much if at all on ice but they are safer than 3 season tires. I Brakes shouldn't cause the issue of sudden swerving/slipping. Sometimes, given the right conditions, nothing will help if on an icy road. I would never drive in winter conditions without the right tires for the job. Having recognized the added safety, many insurance companies o offer a discount on your yearly premium for using them. Usually 5%.

Peter

The member you quoted was last seen here on December 15, 2019, so likely is no longer following.
Do you have dedicated winter tires? That is always the first question. If not, even they won't help much if at all on ice but they are safer than 3 season tires. I Brakes shouldn't cause the issue of sudden swerving/slipping. Sometimes, given the right conditions, nothing will help if on an icy road. I would never drive in winter conditions without the right tires for the job. Having recognized the added safety, many insurance companies o offer a discount on your yearly premium for using them. Usually 5%.

Peter

Thanks Peter for the response. Yes, I recently had the snow tires put on that it came with (Bridgestone Blizzaks, 2nd winter). The issue is the same as it was with the summer tires. I understand that sometimes there's nothing that can stop loss of traction on icy roads but this is something else. My previous vehicle was a 2011 explorer with 2WD, that handled better than this.

It's less of a slipping issue and more of a darting or "zig-zag" behavior. I have observed it on straight tar roads with light snow cover, no steering/throttle/or braking input. The vehicle will pull left or right all of a sudden. Turning of traction control and/or changing to snow mode has no effect.

Is it possible it's a suspension issue/steering linkage issue?

Not sure what it is, but like I said I'm familiar with these vehicles and if this is how the "intelligent 4wd" handles snow and ice I would prefer my 2011 2WD with low budget all season tires.

As with many of the newer systems that vehicles have, especially the traction systems, are now utilizing the ABS system to control traction. Crazy as it sounds it does work. With that being said, traction systems can only do so much. The rest is reliant on the driver sense, conditions, and laws of physics.

Just because the vehicle has traction doesn't mean it can go fast. Stopping is a bigger factor to worry about.

From the 2013 Ford Explorer Owner's manual
pg. 232
Basic Operating Principles in Special Conditions
• Be extremely careful when driving on pavement made slippery by loose sand, water, gravel, snow or ice.

pg. 236
Driving on snow and ice
WARNING: If you are driving in slippery conditions that require tire chains or cables, then it is critical that you drive cautiously. Keep speeds down, allow for longer stopping distances and avoid aggressive steering to reduce the chances of a loss of vehicle control which can lead to serious injury or death. If the rear end of the vehicle slides while cornering, steer in the direction of the slide until youre gain control of the vehicle.

4WD vehicles have advantages over 2WD vehicles in snow and ice but can skid like any other vehicle. Should you start to slide while driving on snowy or icy roads, turn the steering wheel in the direction of the slide until you regain control. Avoid sudden applications of power and quick changes of direction on snow and ice. Apply the accelerator slowly and steadily when starting from a full stop. Avoid sudden braking as well. Although a 4WD vehicle may accelerate better than a two-wheel drive vehicle in snow and ice, it won’t stop any faster, because as in other vehicles, braking occurs at all four wheels. Do not become overconfident as to road conditions. Make sure you allow sufficient distance between you and other vehicles for stopping. Drive slower than usual and consider using one of the lower gears. In emergency stopping situations, avoid locking of the wheels. Usea “squeeze” technique, push on the brake pedal with a steadily increasingforce which allows the wheels to brake yet continue to roll so that youmay steer in the direction you want to travel. If you lock the wheels,release the brake pedal and repeat the squeeze technique. Since yourvehicle is equipped with a Four Wheel Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS),apply the brake steadily. Do not “pump” the brakes. Refer to Brakes chapter for additional information on the operation of the anti-lock brake system.

pg. 240
USING TRACTION CONTROL
In certain situations (for example, stuck in snow or mud), turning the traction control off may be beneficial as this allows the wheels to spin with full engine power. Turn the traction control system off through the information display. See the Information Displays chapter.

pg.243
1. Grass/Gravel/Snow mode should be selected where a firm surface is covered with loose or slippery material such as packed snow, ice, water, grass, or a thin layer of gravel or sand. For deep gravel or sand, select Sand mode. If the vehicle cannot gain traction in deep snow, turning off the traction control system may help (turn traction control back on when traction is regained). See the Traction Control chapter.

Thanks Peter for the response. Yes, I recently had the snow tires put on that it came with (Bridgestone Blizzaks, 2nd winter). The issue is the same as it was with the summer tires. I understand that sometimes there's nothing that can stop loss of traction on icy roads but this is something else. My previous vehicle was a 2011 explorer with 2WD, that handled better than this.

It's less of a slipping issue and more of a darting or "zig-zag" behavior. I have observed it on straight tar roads with light snow cover, no steering/throttle/or braking input. The vehicle will pull left or right all of a sudden. Turning of traction control and/or changing to snow mode has no effect.

Is it possible it's a suspension issue/steering linkage issue?

Not sure what it is, but like I said I'm familiar with these vehicles and if this is how the "intelligent 4wd" handles snow and ice I would prefer my 2011 2WD with low budget all season tires.
Did you try changing the Terrain Management System (Drive Mode) from Normal to Slippery or Snow?
I also have had Bizzaks on my last 2 vehicles.

Peter

I'm going to look in to tires. Although the whole point of asking here was to not just go throwing money at it and hoping it drives better.
I had the same problem and bought winter tires with no resolve.

I'm going to look in to tires. Although the whole point of asking here was to not just go throwing money at it and hoping it drives better.
Don't bother with new tires winter or otherwise,I just changed mine to new winter tires and we just drove into Calgary and with no 4 the minute I tried to change into a lane over with snow, it swayed like I was on ice.

Thanks, I have all season tires on now, brand new but yes I think if we keep this I will have to purchase winter tires next season.
It's not the tires my 2015 xlt is doing the same thing and I just put on new winter tires.

Although winter tires may not help in your case, it is always a good and safe thing to use them as they also outperform regular tires on bare roads since the rubber is more pliable at cold temperatures. More than that I can't say as I've never had the issue.

Peter

Hi
I have driven my 2014 Explorer a few times in the snow this year, and when ever I am in Snow Mode, on a snowy, or slippery road, the rear end feels like it is swaying back and forth when I'm at speeds higher than 20 or 30 MPH. When I say Sway, I mean to the point where I feel the need to counter steer. A lot like towing a trailor without enough tongue weight kinda sway. All this is as I'm driving down a straight road, and trying to drive straight. The tires still seem like they have plenty of tread, but the brand is escaping me at the moment. It has 255/50 R20 tires.

I used to race, and I've learned to trust my butt feeling in the seat, If you've raced or done any performance driving, you know what I mean. However, not only do I feel it in my butt, the swaying is more than body roll. The rear end is moving around to the point where I do need to counter steer.

It almost feels like the rear wheels are toe out, and as soon as the body rolls to that wheel, it puts more weight on it and drive the rear of the truck that direction.

I hope I'm not too confusing, but has anyone else experience this before?

Thanks in advance,
Chad
I put new winter tires on my explorer 2015 xlt awd because of the excessive sway in the rear over any slippery condition in any of the modes.The tires did nothing for the problem.I brought it to the Ford dealership and got an alignment check , I was hesitant because an alignment was done 3 months ago for an out of Province inspection. Well I'll be damned , it worked.Drives like charm on ice and packed snow.Problem solved!

Back