So a funny thing happened after I put my rebuilt 4r70w back in... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So a funny thing happened after I put my rebuilt 4r70w back in...

ncarhsdad

Reaction score
City, State
Mountain Home, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer 5.0
OK - Hey everyone- i'm new here and I need your help!

First of all, this is a great site and the contributions here are fantastic!!!
So here's the deal -I've rebuilt my 4r70w (with alot of insight I've gathered from here) and all has gone very well.

The tranny is back in and I was able to start the truck fine, but it wouldn't drop into D,2, or 1. So I messed something up. Dropped the pan and there it was- I didn't have the detent wheel pin in the manual valve notch; DOH!

So I take out the million bolts out of the valve body and get the detent wheel pin back in the notch where it is supposed to be, no problems, until...

I put the pan back - AND NOW THE TRUCK WON'T START AT ALL!?!?!? I get plenty of juice from the battery, hear the fuel pump kick on, and didn't touch a blessed thing else for the truck to treat me this way! All I get is an annoying buzzing/huming kinda noise but the truck won't even turn over now. :scratch:

The only thing out of place I can figure is now I get the reverse tail lights burning roughly halfway between reverse and park, rather than sitting squarely in reverse as it should be. So I'm a little confused because the shift lever has definite seatings on the comb, so how is the sensor off by half a position??

Maybe this is a simple adjustment or fix, but I'm really tired and brain dead right now and would so appreciate a few solid suggestions or directions from you guys to help me finish my 4r70w transmission rebuilding odyessy (and no, not the honda one:D)

This is the first transmission work I've ever done and have actually loved every knuckle bustin' minute of it, but I need your help for this last little bump I've run into. Thanks so much for your help!

Back