So I noticed today... bypass coolant hose leak??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So I noticed today... bypass coolant hose leak???

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
OK, today in clas we where under the hood of my truck, and there was what I believe a bypass hose at the front of the block, for cooling, and both ends where leaking... Well not leaking, but it was wet around the hose, so it has been. this would make sense, because very so often I smell coolant when I walk aroudn the front of the truck.

the hose is in a "L" shape, Does anybody know what this is for? I am just guessing that it is a coolant hose, but it looked liek one, and was warm to the touch.

BTW 1996 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coolant Bypass Hose. It will split on the inside like this

003-3.jpg

Here is a picture of original on right, Gates Replacement in center, Dayco ( autozone) on left. The dayco actually fit better. I have since replaced it with a motorcraft hose from rockauto.com
You do need the special hose, as it is formed, and, 3/4" on one end, 5/8" on the other.

001-3.jpg

Coolant Bypass Hose. It will split on the inside like this

003-3.jpg

Here is a picture of original on right, Gates Replacement in center, Dayco ( autozone) on left. The dayco actually fit better. I have since replaced it with a motorcraft hose from rockauto.com
You do need the special hose, as it is formed, and, 3/4" on one end, 5/8" on the other.

001-3.jpg

Really glad somebody knew about this! So I wasn't wrong in thinking it was a bypass hose. I have a feeling that is where my coolant is going, every so aften I need to add a splash.

I will have to order one from Rockauto soon then, I am going to make a rather large order, including Rear Shocks, 5th Shock, Rear Brake flex line, and now this bypass hose. it will be like X-Mas all over again!

Also check inside of the plastic shroud under the radiator. You may have a radiator seam leak and it just hasn't hit a high enough level to leak out, especially if you smell coolant...

Check my thread for some pics: CLICK

Also check inside of the plastic shroud under the radiator. You may have a radiator seam leak and it just hasn't hit a high enough level to leak out, especially if you smell coolant...

Check my thread for some pics: CLICK

Thanks! I will for sure check that out.

Fan shrouds are for uncoordinated people. :D

Back