SOA and other rear leaf questions

RangerG

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
Hello all!!

I was looking to do a SOA on my 94 Sport. I was looking under my Sport and there are 3 leafs (one is the over load). I am trying to match what I think will be about 6” of with in the front (doing a D44 EB swap with 3.5” VR duff EB coils). I was thinking of just using the stock sport springs but wondered how well they flex. I also have a full set of ranger springs that I could swap in but have read in previous posts that the ranger springs are thinner and might go inverted when flexed hard. I have also read up on the “Zimmerman” mod in other posts. I was thinking that if I left the main explorer leaf in place then used the whole ranger pack (minus the over load) under the explorer leaf if would give me a “progressive rate” leaf pack. What do you think? How much lift do you think I will get out of it?

I am going to be swapping in a 9” so the pads and everything will be on the top of the axle ready. Another factor that might come into play is I have gutted the interior and I am chopping the top off right behind the small quarter windows sssssoooooo this might make it lighter thus getting more lift. I want to fit 37” tires on it so I need the “extra” lift and some fender cutting!!

Sorry to be so long winded!!! Any help would be great!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely you are going to have to peice the rear together after you have the front set where you want it. That way it will sit exactly where you want.

Like mrboyle said, set up the front first. Then, finish whatever you are doing with the top, this way you will have your final weight.

With a combination of Ranger and Explorer springs, you can give yourself however much lift you want. Use the Ranger spring as your main spring, with the ends cut off the Explorer main leaf right under it. This supports the Ranger spring, with the extra weight of the Explorer. I have never had one bit of problem with my leafs, set-up like this. The Ranger leaf can negative arc without any noticeable problem with it in the long run. My same ones have been on my truck for over 6 years, and the truck does not sag one bit in the rear. For more flex, use as many Ranger springs as you can, as they are thinner. Mine uses a combination of both, as my truck is VERY heavy in the rear. Not only is there an 80lb bumper, but there is also an additional 14 gallon fuel tank where the spare used to be.

If you keep the Explorer main leaf, you will not get as much travel (2" less).

Good luck. :D

Thanks for the info. Got both the ranger and explorer springs apart and trying to decide how many of each one I want use (just to start with). Was thinking of using the ranger main, then the X main with eyes cut off, then the second ranger spring and then the ranger over load. I guess if it sits to high then I will take out the second ranger spring. I hear the overload is good to keep because it helps with axle wrap!

RangerG, I would think again about using the overload, especially if you're going for a soft, flexible type spring pack. If your pack is soft and then you hit a bump or something it will sort of slap down on the overload, causing a funky, noncontinous sort of feel. I also don't think it really makes that much different in axlewrap, and it will definitely limit flex.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Back