SOA Info for my 2000

ZWilson07

Elite Cowboy
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Like the title mentioned, wanting to do a SOA on my 2000 V8 AWD.

I know I can just do an aal or shackles in the rear for a small amount of lift but I personally don't like the look the shackles hanging down in the rear and I would really like to have the leaf springs tucked up over the axles versus hanging down really low.

Seems like the general consensus is that I can either weld in new perches on top the axle, get new u bolts, and either leave the shock mounts in the stock location and run longer shocks or have them moved to the top of the axle.

So is the only thing I will need is new u bolts and new perches, and longer shocks being able to reuse my factory springs and the stock shackle locations? Possibly might have to lengthen the rear driveshaft and remove 3rd shock above the axle. If I want to put the shocks on top of the axle, whats the best way to go about that as the stock shock mounts are built in with the spring perches underneath the axle, etc?

Any thoughts, tips, opinions, etc to help me out.

Most of my info I got is from reading through this whole thread and a few others. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46236

Thanks

SOA conversion gives 5-6" of lift. You will need to weld new perches on top of the axle. Then you can put the u-bolt/shock mount plates on top of your springs but upside down and flip around your stock u-bolts. You can mount your shocks to the existing holes for the sway bar. Or you can do like the OP in that thread and use square u bolts and keep your shock mount plates under the axle. There's also the superlift spring perches which double as a shock mount. There are a lot of ways to do it but these are the most simple in my opinion. Your shock choice varies by how you plan on doing the conversion. You might also need to lengthen your driveshaft to correct the change in pinion angle.

Back