• Register Today It's free!

Soft Brakes.

Buffalosports

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport - 4WD
Because my 98 is now my winter vechile, my explorer has sat from April until this past weekend. When bringing it home, I noticed that my brakes where very soft. This was not the case when I put the truck in storage. With less than 10k on the pads and rotors, pressing slightly would easly bring the truck to a stop 6 months ago. Now I can put all my weight into the peddle and the truck will stop but the tires will not lock up and there is a pulsating in the peddle. I can easily hold the truck on a hill though.

Today, I took all the calipers off an put never-seize on all the sliders. Didn't help too much. I do not think it is a leak because the fluid level has not changed. Also I do not think that there is air in the lines because it wasn't an issue less than 6 months ago. It is probably not a vacuum problem because the vacuum line looks good and I would assume that I would be having other problems if it where. Any other ideas? Maybe a frozen piston or two?

I have 4 wheel disc breaks with ABS. The ABS does not kick in when I stomp the breaks and the light is not on.

Ok, just got done bleeding all the lines. Same result, no luck. It seems like it may be a master cylinder problem or booster. How can I tell if they are both working properly?

Back