SOHC RPM's on highway...

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
I've searched and can't seem to find anything... what are the SOHC owners turning on the highway... say... 70-75 mph?

I'm 2700 rpm @ 73 mph (my standard cruising speed)

LS 4.10

(I'm just curious to see if I'm a little high since I have catbacks and a KKM)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds about right.

Cruising gears are only dependent on tire size and diff gear ratio, assuming you're in your final drive (1:1) gear (not O/D). Given the reduction due to OD your number sounds right.

I also have a '99 Sport 4x4 With open 4.10s and I run about the same...

I have a 97x with 3.73 limited slip 2x4 and between 2500 and 2600 rpms at that speed

Just to say it again, when comparing hwy RPMs all numbers should be compared in the 1:1 transmission gear: 3 in the A4LD or 4R55E, or 4 for the 5R55E. For later models, basically cruise with the truck in D but OD off.

Why not compare in OD since thats the gear you will be in on the road?

Because due to the variances in the vehicles, the torque converter may or may not be locked in OD at 65 or 70 mph. Running in the final drive gear gives more consistant readings.

I run 3000rpm at 80mph, 5sp-manual, 3.73, stock tires on my 2002 Sport. I think :eek:

I guess I'm still confused by Alec's posts... But it does look like my mods haven't dropped my rpm's much.. little more than dissappointing.

A KKM and cat back should give about 2mpg gain (over stock) on the interstate right?

Like I said above, power mods will not affect cruising RPM!!! When you're accelerating yes, you will make more power and thus may take less RPM to reach speed. However, at speed (cruising and just maintaining speed on level ground), RPMs are only a function of tire size and gearing.

Think of it this way:
You're tires are turning the speed they need to go at 70 mph.
The tires turn the axlehalves to turn the ring gear.
The ring gear turns the driveshaft 4.10 (or 3.73, etc) times for every rotation of the axles.
The tranny is in it's 1:1 gear, so the flywheel is turning at the same rate as the driveshaft.

Thus, at a cruising speed RPM is dependent on the rotational speed of the rest of the drivetrain. Yes, when you need to accel to pass your RPMs are going to go up and the more power you have the less the motor needs to increase RPMs to apply the necessary force.

Make sense now?

The reason I say that you compare highway RPMs in your 1:1 gear is that 1) it is an industry standard and 2) I've found that in OD RPMs are not always exactly where they should be due to OD and torque converter wear and differences.

Originally posted by Alec

The reason I say that you compare highway RPMs in your 1:1 gear is that 1) it is an industry standard and

Interesting, what is your source for that statement?

When any drivetrain or 4x4 shop talks to you about RPMs they compare cruising RPMs at 65 or 70 in your 1:1 gear; third on most trucks.

Originally posted by Alec
When any drivetrain or 4x4 shop talks to you about RPMs they compare cruising RPMs at 65 or 70 in your 1:1 gear; third on most trucks.

And that makes it an "industry standard"?

uh oh.... here we go!

Ok Alec.. not arguing.. just making sure I understand...

When cruising on the highway, you're really only using like 30 hp, so it doesn't matter how much power your truck has peak, b/c too keep the truck going at that speed in that gear is predetermined right?

I guess now that I think about my thermodynamics test that I took last week I understand what you're saying.

So for cross country trips (like what I'm doing friday-saturday VA >> CO) a cat back and KKM aren't really going to change my mileage that much b/c there will be so little time spent in acceleration?

But when we start to drive through the CO front range on I70, the truck will get better milage than it would've stock b/c there is more power available and the truck has to work less?

Hokie:
Basically, yes.

Back