Sohc to ohv

Flashflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 94 xlt
Ok so my sohc on my 2000 explorer that I just got back from family, and it's giving me a little more lifter noise than I would like to admit. I will also admit that I am not to fond of eventually having to replace the timing chain how hard is it to replace it with a ohv I like ohv way more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.0L ohv?

Clean the oil spray bars above the cams !

5.0L ohv?
4.0L I do know kinda how to do a 5.0L from a 4.0 and I just seems likes to much work. Especially usually 5.0 have so many miles.

Well a 2000 explorer came factory w 4.0
Ohv or sohc or 5.0
So I’m theory it’s is not terrible swap to go to 4.0 ohv, it bolts in assuming you find a 98-00 4.0 ohv engine donor. You will need the computer and wiring and must be from an automatic like yours then it will all bolt in

Finding a good running low mile 4.0 ohv with all the wiring and computer could be as tricky as finding a 5.0

I see a lot of auto transmissions blow up after a conversion like this, many people do not know how to keep debris/junk/fluids out of their trans cooler lines While the engine/ radiator / trans dipstick is out….

I know that a 4.0 ohv can be replaced w a sohc engine without changing the computer
Going from sohc to ohv without changing computers may be possible but will leave you with codes for the valve cover
Mounted cam sensor and knock sensor

The ohv has a cam synchronizer while the sohc has a single cam sensor on the valve cover m, otherwise wiring wise they are very similar engines

If you're pulling the engine anyway, just put a healthier 4.0 SOHC in, with a new timing chain kit. It's 22 years old, with like-driving environment, you'd be set until 2044... until something else fails first, which is as likely on the used 4.0 OHV too.

If you're pulling the engine anyway, just put a healthier 4.0 SOHC in, with a new timing chain kit. It's 22 years old, with like-driving environment, you'd be set until 2044... until something else fails first, which is as likely on the used 4.0 OHV too.
Truthfully that's probably going to be my plan. The timing chain doesn't give me noise on startup unless she's really cold. So truthfully I'm not going to worry about the engine yet my worries are on the trannie right now.

which chain makes the noise?
The balance chain, main tensioner and front cassette can all be accessed through the front timing cover
If you have a failing tensioner (you do) and you catch it early enough it can be replaced quite easily

you can see the front tensioner on the drivers head through the oil fill cap

ticking noise at cold start = weak tensioner
If nothing has worn or broken yet while the chain is slack, you can throw a couple of new ford tensioners in it
Or heck install manual tensioner, they are pretty cheap and will not go slack
Also make sure you are running full synthetic and change it often
SOHCs must use full synth and get frequent changes for long long lifespan

Use Ford engine parts, whatever you do

Someone here recently used the Cloyes kit and their engine blew up very soon after—junk parts came apart

Also melling makes excellent timing parts
Oil pumps to

They make timing parts for the SOHC? Interesting, didn’t know that

I know it may just be me be an idiot for some odd reason I can't find a wright up on how to do the front tensioner. Can It be done with the engine in the truck still or I'm I think about the rear one for the cam.

Front can be done in the truck, along with the Jack shaft and balancer stuff. Rear requires trans or engine removal, I believe.

I haven’t done this job, this is based off what I have read.

Screenshot_20211012-084137.png

Here is a greet set
I have Been looking around

I will only install ford tensioners
Or stainless steel manual tensioners (if it was my own personal engine, which it isn’t I won’t own a sohc v6)

Installing the front tensioner 97-02, you have to remove the thermostat housing and upper intake plenum to get at it, no biggie
The pass side tensioner can be installed in about 5 minutes total, access is through the pass wheel well

Any main chain tensioner issues can be fixed by removing the timing cover and at that time you can disable and remove the balance shaft chain and tensioner.
Most issues can be fixed with engine in the truck
If you catch them early enough!!!

@410Fortune Running manuals on the 04 now great so far

Maybe I need to make a video on the adjustment I may...

I will only install ford tensioners
Or stainless steel manual tensioners (if it was my own personal engine, which it isn’t I won’t own a sohc v6)

Installing the front tensioner 97-02, you have to remove the thermostat housing and upper intake plenum to get at it, no biggie
The pass side tensioner can be installed in about 5 minutes total, access is through the pass wheel well

Any main chain tensioner issues can be fixed by removing the timing cover and at that time you can disable and remove the balance shaft chain and tensioner.
Most issues can be fixed with engine in the truck
If you catch them early enough!!!
Yup watched a video on it last night planning on buying um here soon and doing them

Well a 2000 explorer came factory w 4.0
Ohv or sohc or 5.0
So I’m theory it’s is not terrible swap to go to 4.0 ohv, it bolts in assuming you find a 98-00 4.0 ohv engine donor. You will need the computer and wiring and must be from an automatic like yours then it will all bolt in

Finding a good running low mile 4.0 ohv with all the wiring and computer could be as tricky as finding a 5.0

I see a lot of auto transmissions blow up after a conversion like this, many people do not know how to keep debris/junk/fluids out of their trans cooler lines While the engine/ radiator / trans dipstick is out….

I know that a 4.0 ohv can be replaced w a sohc engine without changing the computer
Going from sohc to ohv without changing computers may be possible but will leave you with codes for the valve cover
Mounted cam sensor and knock sensor

The ohv has a cam synchronizer while the sohc has a single cam sensor on the valve cover m, otherwise wiring wise they are very similar engines
Lookin into swappin the 4.0 OHV too an SOHC on a 98 Ex 5 speed manual, Im aware their the same motors basically in regards with "bolt up" compatibility however do you need too change the complete wirin harness?

Lookin into swappin the 4.0 OHV too an SOHC on a 98 Ex 5 speed manual, Im aware their the same motors basically in regards with "bolt up" compatibility however do you need too change the complete wirin harness?
@4pointslow has an ohv conversion sohc iirc. as far as the engine harness they are similiar but not identical iirc some different sensors like knock sensor on sohc iirc not on ohv? it shouldnt require a major change being 4.0s and being both colognes so not much should be different, but some things may be. computer may need changing to match the tuning of the ohv not the sohc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can run a SOHC with a ohv computer, but you cannot run a OHV with a SOHC computer
You will need the complete OHV engine computer and wiring harness, the PATS module, KEY AND tumbler form the OHV truck

The OHV should be from a 98-2000 so that it more easily goes into your 98

the 99-00 OHV and SOHC have a single fuel line, 98 has two fuel lines, you should match that up if possible otherwise you will be swapping fuel rail parts and injectors

The OHV will bolt up to the transmission, it will not bolt up to the exhaust without the correct Y pipe

this is still a conversion, not a simple engine change, there will still be some plumbing and wiring hurdles to overcome

Back