Solid axle ?'s | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid axle ?'s

I have decided to skip the lift kits and go with the solid axle swap. I am in the planning stages of the swap. I would like to lift it to about 4 or 5 inches. I Know a guy that builds and modifies 79 Broncos. He sold me a Dana 44 out of a 79 Bronco and told me he can get me every part of the 79 Bronco suspension for cheap. Is this a reverse rotation 44? I am wondering if anyone can help me, by making a list of parts or telling me what I would need. Should I go with leafs or Coils in the front? Do I need the radius arms, Coil brackets? How would I get it to be about 4 or 5 inches all the way around? How would i get the most flex? Any advice would be greatly helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tom, go ahead and grab the tracbar mount, I used the factory one on mine and Riffs. It all depends how you mount it.

Me and Riff are both running 4" backspacing, if you can get less do so, it will help keep the tires out of the radius arms.

I'm running a dropped arm on mine also.

As far as the brakes go I'd get the complete assy with backing plates. I don't know what size brakes are on the X's but my ranger has 10x2.5's and the fullsizers all have 11" so I couldn't get a factory drum to fit. I drilled mine and it works fine, no problem since the drum centers on the axle hub, not the studs.

The coil mounts are easy to fab up, everything else looks to be in order, good luck.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

track bar mount

Ok now that i looked at our pics i see the track bar on the 78-79 (assuming that's what you used) is different then the 66-77. I know the early bronco mount won't work.

Another bracket i need off the 78-79.

Originally posted by Kampy
Me and Riff are both running 4" backspacing, if you can get less do so, it will help keep the tires out of the radius arms.
Check. I can deal with that.. I think they said 3.something was in stock.

The coil mounts are easy to fab up, everything else looks to be in order, good luck.

just how thick are the coil mounts you made? I got the front end today, and I now see what I've got to do with them. Now, I need at least 6" to 7" of lift (got SOA and OME's in the back).

Thanks!

Tom, the axle mounting surface difference between the axles is 1/2" higher on the 44's arms. I made my mounts 2+1/2" thick for a total difference of 3" higher than it sat with the 35 in it. I was running 4" springs on top of that for I guess about 7" of lift.

Track Bar Mount

Use a piece of box tubing large enough ID to fit the bar mounting point inside. Notch it to fit the frame at the top, the bottom had the inside cut a an angle to allow for movement.
The overall height of the piece is cut to set the proper angle for the track bar.
It was the easiest way to make a mount rugged enough and maintain the proper trackbar angle at the same time.

Not sure if this will help anyone out but it works.

The coil springs on the EB D44 on my Navajo mount directly to the D44 without spaces. 5.5 coil springs from Valley Spring Service. 35s fit OK.
Also used EB coil spring towers on the top side, made it easier overall.

Just some notes...

Keep it on all four.

Re: Track Bar Mount

Originally posted by Sandy
Keep it on all four.

Why?? thats no fun!! ;)

update

An update

1) bought a complete solid axle from a 78 bronco. also picked up the radius arms, mounts, track bar, track bar mount.

2) cleaned up, stripped it down. Found out Ford no longer makes spindles for this thing. Bleah.

3) Got the old IFS front off. Gone. :) Took about 4hrs to rip it off - had to break some welds.

4) going to cut it down 6-3/8". With the bronco radius arms, factory mounts, it appears all I have to worry about is the coil springs mounts. I'm keeping the superlift 5.5" coils, so I'm going to make up some coil adapters that also add a few more inches of lift (about 1.5" to 2")

4) riff's going to hate this. Dutchman rear axles, and going to a disc conversion at the same time. Dutchman can deliver both the axles, the conversion, and correctly drilled rotors. Also going to have them cut down the long side axle 6-3/8".

more in a few weeks!

Man I'm jealous. Sounds like you have things all planned out. Keep posting on your progress, Take pics if you can. I want to do the swap as soon as I can but the funds are running low. Good luck.

exactly like those. Keep them coming.

Hole that line up !

Did you notice that there is a hole in the passengers side of the frame that will line up with the radius arm bracket and it appears to be in the correct location.

Mine worked out OK using this one hole all of the rest will either have to be drilled or the brlt welded in place or both.

Good Luck,

Oh yea. I noticed! Only have to drill 3 holes on each side. Got to put a bolt in where the superlift brackets went on the top of the body mount, but other than that..

One part at time.. One part at a time I keep saying.

Looks like you've got a good start on it, it also looks like there are alot of other "spare" parts laying around in the background.

Originally posted by Kampy
Looks like you've got a good start on it, it also looks like there are alot of other "spare" parts laying around in the background.

he said parts. eh heh.

[ done in your best beavis & butthead impression ]

yea, the guy has axles all over the place - probably close to a hundred of them.

But, he had no d44, HP, driver side pumpkins... and no explorer 8.8's!

thomas

Tom you are great! thank you for referring me to this thread!!!!
Mind telling who your guy is? I may want/need to use him...
I think the bronco parts seem the best bet.....we will see....Pick-N-Pull in Newark has a lot of broncos and the full service P-N-P next door has 4 Explorers...

June 6th update..

Ok, here's my update..

Tomorrow and monday, get to work on radius arm brackets, and make sure the axle has been cut down. Hopefully, everything will start coming together by the end of next week.

Ordered new rear axles, disk brakes with 5x5.5 pattern from dutchman today.

Sent d44 long side axle shaft to dutchman axle to be cut down 6 3/8". (same length as early bronco, correct?)

More next week!

some numbers..

Explorer axle width - 58.3"
Early Bronco (66-77) - 58"
Big Bronco (78-up) - 65.25"

so, cutting 6 3/8 gives you 58.925, slightly wider than explorer.

cutting 8" gives you 57.25 - slightly narrower than explorer.

more later..

tdavis

Can you give me some more info on the rear axle/disk conversion? Does dutchman have a URL? How much was that kit? Do you know if they have the kit available for a ranger 8.8?

Thanks

Re: tdavis

Originally posted by NIGHTRANGER5.0
Can you give me some more info on the rear axle/disk conversion? Does dutchman have a URL? How much was that kit? Do you know if they have the kit available for a ranger 8.8?

Thanks

check out http://www.dutchmanaxles.com The complete kit (31 spline axles, disk brake calipers, everything set for 5x5.5" pattern) is about $700 plus shipping.

Does a ranger 8.8 use the same backing plate as an Explorer? If so, then I'd assume the disk brake calipers would just bolt up. You still have redo the parking brake cables, and redo the brake lines (the calipers are floating, so you need flexible hose for that section).

Tom where does the diff set in on that whole setup? Is it the same amount from the left side of the knuckle measured in? Or does it change in the big Bronco? I guess what I am asking is would it be possible to run the full width without moving the pumkin or would it smack something?

Back