Something strange with 94 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something strange with 94 explorer

FordRacer28

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
i was on my way home last night around 1 in the morning and i kicked it down leaving a stop sign, cause my girlfriend was pissing me off and out of nowhere it had all the power in the world and would burry the needle in the dash and i know the speedo isnt off cause i had my gps on. but before any of this happen it was a dead sled and lugged everywhere and had a constant miss... so can anyone tell me something about this strange event that occurred?? :burnout::usa::exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting question. Wish I had an answer. i will be watching this post to find out as I have had that happen before also. Myself, I just chalked it up to the alignment of the planets.

ahh...let's see...burried the needle in the dash syndrome or pissed off girl friend juju...

Bad throttle cable?

Maybe the throttle cable had not been opening up the throttle body all the way? A hard / quick stomp on it let it open more?

Maybe do the throttle mod to it and see if it helps.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242299

Or...It has been taking off in 2nd gear all the time. Placing the shifter in 1st, actually allowed it to take off in 1st gear.

By "Burying the needle" What do you mean? Which needle? I hope you don't mean the speedo needle.

Bad throttle cable?

Maybe the throttle cable had not been opening up the throttle body all the way? A hard / quick stomp on it let it open more?

Maybe do the throttle mod to it and see if it helps.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242299

Or...It has been taking off in 2nd gear all the time. Placing the shifter in 1st, actually allowed it to take off in 1st gear.

By "Burying the needle" What do you mean? Which needle? I hope you don't mean the speedo needle.

its starting in 1st and yes the speedo needle it will push itself to about where the 3rd gear is in the shifter zone

For myself, the way it's happening, it's wierd... normally, it's like a normal Explorer... it can get out of it's own way quite adequatly. Then every so often, it's like a raped ape in the woods... there is nothing holding it back. Multiple code scans etc.. no reason for it. Myself, I'm wondering if it may be weak spark or possibly inadequate fuel supply.

i gave a guy a ride home once because he rolled his truck and was sitting in the road crying how he loved his truck. so on the way to his house he let me know he was mad at his girl friend and was speeding, i almost kicked him out right there, i told him you NEVER beat your equipment because of some broad.

Back