Sony CDX-GT710 Opinions and some questions... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sony CDX-GT710 Opinions and some questions...

It was an aftermarket... (no factory amp) it lasted a long time, but it finally ate a cd... did just enough damage that it had to be disassembled. :dead:

Would it be okay to just cap the end of it and leave as is? It should be okay as long as I don't dip it in water, right? ;) I just don't want any shock hazards sitting in the vehicle, you know? Thanks!

just tape off the end. you will have no problems with it doing that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you very much!

Ok, I picked up the JVC that I have been looking at. I picked everything up from Circuit City. The HU at the store was marked at 159.99, but I found it on their website for 129.99. So I got the lower price. I also picked up the harness and dash kit. The harness that I got plugs into the back of the JVC that goes to a universal connector, and then I bought a Ford adapter that plugs into the Ford connectors, which then goes to a Universal connector. No cutting, splicing or otherwise needed. Just plug the 2 universal connectors together, and your done. The first harness they gave me was wrong. I had to get the harness for the premium sound system. Once I had this it was all plug and play, no amp bypass or anything. The only splicing I did was for my remote turn-on for the small amp I have for my sub. I just used a quick splice connector to splice the wires together. The dash kit was flimsy. I ended up breaking it. I just tossed it and bought another from Autozone. This kit was much much sturdier and fit better. I have one picture that I took with my camera phone, the quality, isn' the best, but it will suffice until I can borrow somebodies camera.

Dan

sweet!

Good you saved $$ too! But I have to wait for the larger pic, because even my glasses need glasses to see that image :D

Any issues with it?

I must say, this was the easiest stereo install that I have ever done. After listening to some tunes through the stereo for a little while, it sounds great. My sub does not hit as hard as it used to with the Kenwood, but it doesn't overpower the rest of the music. I thought it sounded good before, but it just sounds better. The Ipod controller works great, just plug it in, and and use the remote or dash to pick songs. The picture is small, but it doubles as a thumbnail, just click it and it will take you to a larger picture. I still have to read up on the manual and learn all the features that I am not using yet.

Dan

Good deal!

Mine has like 16 buttons, I use about 2. So what do you do with your system? Thumpin' down the street? I thump now... but mostly on the fwy. Or when someone lights up a cig next to me, The Cure as loud as possible. Their window goes up.

I have a wide taste in music, from country to rock and everything in between. It doesn't have to thump, but I like to be able to listen to as loud as possible without the distortion. And with the different EQ settings, I can get it nice and crisp at max volume, or I can turn it down and set it to a different setting with more bass. I still have to figure out the Hi and low pass filter settings, perhaps if I play with those settings a bit more the thump from the amp might come back. But it is still much better than what I had before, the deck doesn't slide around in the dash anymore, it's just overall, much nicer than what I had. The wiring isn't all cobbled together, and my clock will now hold the time. I appreciate all the suggestions and comments from this forum. Now, just on to upgrading my sub, or more likely, downsizing trying to gain some cargo room back. I am on a mission to clean up some of my installs, gain some room back and just make it more pleasant to be inside.

Dan

Same...

DMac has a custom sub that sits next to the window... I have a box that needs to go... Charlie says that with the AB system and a sub, you could have the same effect as if you had a couple subs, no? I think between these two, there could be a move to clean out the cargo areas so we can put in a mini fridge (my idea now Stic-o :wtf: ) or just have it clear.

My problem is that I have a tool box that I always keep in the back. You just never know when the tools will come in handy. They saved me from an expensive tow once already. Perhaps I can design some kind of sub floor to hold the tools, yet still have my full cargo area. I think this will be something I may look into, as it could greatly improve my cargo space and cut down on all the rattling in my tool box.

Dan

Updated pictures of JVC KD-PDR30 Install

Here are a few pictures of my stereo and Sirius Install.

These are better than that other picture I took with my cell phone, and you can also see how I have my Sirius Stratus installed with no visible wires showing.

Dan

how does the sat radio work?

any issues with it? i hear you have to have a sep antenna for that... no?

i put in a jvc also, the sony is going to another vehicle...

The antenna is run as per the sirius instructions. I have it located on the back of the roof, in the center with the wiring run through the weatherstripping into the molding in the interior along the top. It then drops down the A-pillar past the fuse box, crosses under the dash below the steering wheel, and comes into the console though a 1/2" hole I drilled for all 3 wires. I am using an FM modulator I purchased as I was having difficulty getting the FM tuner in the receiver to send a strong signal to my head unit. With the modulator, I can set it to any station I want, and the the signal is broadcast directly into the factory antenna. The result is cd quality sound. The FM modulator plugs inline between the head unit and the factory antenna cable while another wire is routed to the Sirius receiver. Took about 5 minutes to install. Plus this gives me a cleaner look over having a wire run to the auxiliary input on the front of the stereo. So far I am really liking this head unit. The sound clarity still amazes me.

Dan

so ah how the heck did we get on the i have kenwood an want sony an jvc thats a serious downgrade !!!!

On what levels? How did you determine this? Thanks...

umm well i dunno i was assuming this was a excelon product as well the only way. haha an i mean hands down lookk at the specs theres a reason sony an others can be found at a local walmart .kenwood my friends will never be a walmart special. not tryn to heat any one up by bashing there product up .....

I had a kenwood and had some issues with it. It sounded ok, but always left me wanting more. I had problems with the stereo randomly cutting out, mainly in the summer months, but would also do it in the winter. To fix it, I would either have to disconnect my battery, or pull the power on the head unit itself. The Kenwood did have more adjustability for the sub, but the JVC I have now just sounds so much better than I could ever get the Kenwood. For the money, I couldn't beat this head unit. Also, the Kenwood would skip when running over rough roads, have yet to hear the JVC skip.

Dan

agreed, my jvc is much better than the kenwood...

an thats what makes it youre sound system cause what works the best for you is what makes it best i just know that u can tune what ever friggn freq u want to individual speaker as well there are man awesome little tweaks there head unit offer but then again im with you if i was having major issues like that id switch up companys to !!

Back