Sorry but I'm tired of searching so... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sorry but I'm tired of searching so...

rustytr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leadville, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I'm just gonna ask. Here's what's up, I shorted out my pioneer deck, don't even ask how. Anyway now I'm putting the factory one back in. It's got the tape and cd player, well here's the problem, of course I don't have a harness to plug the factory one back in so I go to circut city and of course they don't carry factory harnesses and the guy tells me it should just plug right into the one that's there. Well the factory head unit has these little prong things, kinda like a plug or something is needed to, well plug into them and then into a wiring harness or something. Does that sound right, or am I just an idiot? Am I missing something really simple. I also was wondering if I do need something to plug into can I get it at a stereo store instead of ordering it? I also thought the damn guys that installed my system would have given everything back but they didn't including the rail thing the factory stereo slides into. Help me please...

Sincerely audio instalation idiot :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yeah I have a 2000 sport and it has everything but leather.

go to a junkyard and take everything out of a flipped explorer

Hey, that's a good idea, I didn't even think of that.

conversion harness

For future reference (this doesn't help now, but make keep someone from making the same mistake): When you have a new stereo installed into a vehicle, if at all possible keep the factory harness intact and make a wiring harness to convert the factory plug to the aftermarket head unit. (If you pay someone to install your system, have them make the harness)

You can generally pick up a kit that will have the same connection as your factory head unit at Best Buy or WalMart (about $10-15). Solder,crimp,etc. the wires from your new head unit's wiring harness to the appropriate wires on your conversion harness and you will have the ability to pop your new stereo in your dash very easily and then switch back to your factory head unit when you need to (selling, etc.) Sure, this costs a little bit of time and money but IMO it's worth it in the long run. Good luck.

Actually it pisses me off that they didn't do this in the first place and let me keep the original factory stuff. I'm going to take it back to them and make them do it for free. For future reference as well no body go to quality auto sound$$$$$

Back