Sorry I haven't been around too much | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sorry I haven't been around too much

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Sorry I haven't been around.....Oldest daughter in hospital

My apologies to all of you if I haven't been around often. You see, Monday I took my oldest daughter to the hospital, she was admitted because her thyroid condtion had become critical. Her heartbeat was at 140 beats per minute, her blood pressure was at 175/101 and her thyroid gland was 3 and a half sizes bigger than normal. Doctor told her had she waited any longer, she would have eventually had a fatal heart attack. Right now she is in the critical care unit, but will be moved to a private room since Friday she will be treated with radioactive iodine to destroy her thyroid gland, afterwards she will have to take thyroid hormone replacement medication like her grandmother, aunt and me for the rest of her life.

The condition she has, Grave's disease, is not common but prevalent in women 20-40. The doctors also ran tests on her heart to make sure there was no damage, which except for a slight problem with one of her valves, which can be treated with medication since it was caught early, there was no major damage to her heart. The only thing is if she has to have any kind of surgery, whether medical or dental, she will have to take antibiotics for a week beforehand or she could develop an infection in her heart, since Grave's disease is an autoimmune condition, she will have to watch out that she doesn't get ill.

It will take 2-6 months for her to get back on her feet, so my plans to move up north this summer have been pushed back a year, I won't be attending the Baxter trip since I'm going to need all the extra money I can get.

The only things I see me attending are the Jamboree, since I had promised my little one I'd take her and after that my girls and I will be spending a week in Vermont enjoying the summer weather and letting Jessica get strong again. I probably will be also attending the Cape trip if I can get a hotel room near the campground.

All I ask of my friends here is to keep Jessica and me in your prayers and thoughts, for Jessica to have an effective cure and to get strong again and for myself that I can be strong for Jessica.

The night I came home after she was admitted, I just absorbed all of the information and started crying, especially when I realized how close I came to losing her.

Thanks for letting me tell you what's going on in my life right now and hugs to all of my friends in NEX and EF for being there for me

Love ya all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have my prayers. Get well soon Jessica.

Sorry to hear that Sandy, we'll keep you and Jessica in our prayers..

sorry to hear about your daughter being sick. Good thing you caught the problem in time. I'll keep you both in my prayers

Thanks so much guys. Jessica underwent her procedure today, and everything went well. If everything continues to go well, she will be released to recuperate at home on Monday. All she will have to do is take the medications she's prescribed and go to the hospital clinic for occasional follow-up visits to monitor if the radioactive iodine is shrinking the thyroid as it should

Sorry to hear but my thoughts are with your family. Take it easy & hope to see you sometime @ a meet.

Sorry to hear about your daughter... my mother had this very exact thing happen to her about 5 years ago when I was a freshman in college. It was a very scary time.

She will be back to herself soon and probably feel better than she did before. Overactive thyroid hormones in the bloodstream cause problems for a long time before it is usually caught, and the person feels crappy and doesn't know why. It's a good thing it was caught before any more damage had been done. I'm a student in Nuclear Medicine (thanks to what happened to my mom I found the field I wanted to study) and we do the radioiodine ablation treatment many times a day for hyperthyroidism. It worked well for my mom. So if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask I'm very knowledgeable in the field now and very familiar with the procedures, having performed them myself on people.

Jenni

SoBe...
Sorry this is a bit late, but good thoughts your way!
See you at the Jamboree. I now live just a few miles form there!

Back