Sound from the Wheel Well | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sound from the Wheel Well

xdviper

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
After making any kind of tight turn or wide or even hitting a medium sized bump will trigger this sound. It sounds like its coming from the left wheel well and it continues on even after going straight from the turn for a few seconds then it stops.

I really don't know what is wrong nor can tell what is damaged or whats missing. I checked inside the well, looked at all the parts and everything either seems to be intact or I can't tell what is what. I know I needed new shocks for a while but I was holding those off for a while and I doubt its those. It sounds like there is something stuck like a big piece of plastic and its rubbing on the tire, thats only what it sounds like, but there is nothing there.

What could the problem be guys?

Another update, I haven't been able to check anything today but while coming home today on a quiet street with the windows down, I can hear a rattling sound coming from the front drivers side wheel. I don't know what it is, and I can only hear when I am going about 30mph.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the wheel bearing and spindle? This can cause a scraping sound....worth a shot:confused:

Another update, I haven't been able to check anything today but while coming home today on a quiet street with the windows down, I can hear a rattling sound coming from the front drivers side wheel. I don't know what it is, and I can only hear when I am going about 30mph.

check to make sure everything is tight,
actually grab onto everything you can see, and shake it, if you can,

i had a rattle , it was the sway bar bushing, it sounded like coins rattling,,
sound like that ??

check to make sure everything is tight,
actually grab onto everything you can see, and shake it, if you can,

i had a rattle , it was the sway bar bushing, it sounded like coins rattling,,
sound like that ??

it doesn't sound like coins rattling, but similar to that. I'll check it out in a little bit and give you guys a update on it.

Back