Source for Diamond Clear Headlights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Source for Diamond Clear Headlights?

Hello, one of my headlights has become fogged with condensation so I would like to replace both with an upgraded version. I searched the net far and wide and was not able to find a good source for Diamond Clear Projector headlights. I did go on ebay but all they had at the time was the whole kit with the corners.

I was hoping for something a little better quality. I saw the ICPW clears or something like that for $250 a bit rich for me.

Can anyone provide a link or some info to some Diamond Clear or Euroclear headlights for a 98 explorer? I was hoping to get something that wouldn't leak and be a straightforward install.

After reading the last horror story on hear about diamond replacement, I would rather not buy the ebay lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i bought lights off of ebay because i was having the same problem with my 1995, it was a full package deal..diamond corners and diamond headlights..paid $170.00 shipped. when i got them in the mail.. i put them on the truck and bam...they work great..much better than stock lights! i only buy from ebay ...stores... with high positive feedback, so i am almost ensured to get a decent product. but if you dont go ebay your gonna have to break bread for the lights cuz theyre not cheap retail as you already know.

Thanks Bro, its seems lots of folks on here have had luck with ebay, I think they are made by Makato.

I saw clear corners and lenses for $110 on ebay (buy it know) for my '98. That last guys post about installing the diamond crystals off ebay really freaked me out.

If I buy the Diamond Clears off ebay, I think they are made by Makato are there any tips to installing them? I saw on an install in 4x4 Magazine where they used ICPW headlights and used the original mounting hardware from the vehicle instead of the new stuff. This seems like a much better plan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-0...33710QQitemZ8030081030QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Any tips are greatly appreciated as I usually run into problems when servicing my "X". :confused:

Anybody? Anybody? :confused: I would like to buy the ICPW for a bit more dough because I usually don't like cheap aftermarket mods. They usually leak or fog up after a short time.

As the saying goes you get what you pay for...

I've never had any issues with fogging on my diamond clears or headlights. Search around the site for a while. There are plenty of pointers out there. Make sure to remove your grille when working on the headlights. Corners are a no-brainer and take maybe 5 minutes to do both sides.

Makato doesn't make anything. They're part of that Asian corsortium in the LA area a la PCP and all those other places on eBay. They're all related and have suspect customer service. Check out that miserable group buy for Diamond corners in early 2005. The products themselves are of average build quality and nowhere near as good as OEM. I have never had any issues with yellowing in any of these products,

I scored my corners of one of those eBay sellers (definitely similar to PCP in every way, shape and form). I got my 1st set of headlights from a group buy in 2004 (went much smoother, same organizer and same source). I got my second set from another poster on this site. First set went on my Sport and stayed there when I traded it in (didnt have time to attempt to take them out and didn't really want to anyhow....to much work). I've got two sets of corners still.

The pointer I took away is to try and use the OEM hardware and slide it into the headlights. It's not the easiest installation but if I can do it, anyone can. Just take your time.

Sorry, I can't provide more info. There are a lot of previous threads on the subject as mentioned. That's how I figured it out. I had a hellish time with the first install, but it went much smoother with the second. Definitely get the grille shell before you do anything. It gives you much better access to the headlights.

Are there any other places that you guys know of? I'm not liking the little cap that goes over the light bulb. The older ones didn't have it. I'd rather have those. PCP has the set like that, but they're $200. :(

i got the PCP heads back in '04..payed alot...but they have been amazing. not one thing wrong with them.the output is great. i used there mounting hardwear that came with them to installed..everything went smooth. i got my corners in jan'05 and no probs there either..

PCP has a pic of the lights w/o the shield. However, all the lights at first didnt have a shield. I'm wondering if they didnt have to add the shield to make them DOT compliant.
If so did PCP change their pic or do they, in fact, still have the lights w/o the shield. And does or does not the shield cause dark spots in the beam?
I dont know......

my '04 PCP dimonds have a DOT stamp on them. and no dark spots anywhere in the beam, i've heard the newer non-PCP heads without the lines on the top or bottom of the housing(cheaper ebay lights just have chrome on this area) and they have the little caps. i've heard the caps make the light output more scattered..but i've never seen a set other then mine inperson.

Thanks for all the great info, the ebay deal sounds skechy at best. I am leaning toward the $230 ICPW lights as I know that are top quality and can be returned.

Celly thanks for the great info, why was it so hard to install the lights? Seems like a straight drop in looking at my Ford repair DVD, it said nothing about removing the grill? I Am a bit concerned though about the angle of the lights and setting it right. Is this hard to do?

Currently my fog light is half filled with water and no longer works and my passensger light is fogged badly and shows condensation beads. I need to move on this.

Lazz, the grille shell takes 5 minutes to remove and it's 5 minutes well spent. Gives you much better access to the headlights.

Are you sure you're not reading about just replacing the bulbs? That can be done without removing the shell. I can't see how you'd get the headlights out without removing the shell. It takes a few screws and the grille pops right out. Trust me, you'll pull your hair out if you don't do this.

It was just a tricky install. Even with the shell out, those stock headlights are in there good and tight. By using OEM fittings, you don't have to re-focus your headlights. I found it tricky only because I'm a terrible mechanic. We might be cut from the same cloth.

Again, search and search again for how it's done. That's how I figured it out. Wouldn't hurt to score you Elite membership now either. You're a high maintenance "wannabe" dude. :p

Check out FAQs at top of page.....

Lazzman said:
Thanks for all the great info, the ebay deal sounds skechy at best. I am leaning toward the $230 ICPW lights as I know that are top quality and can be returned.

It's all the same crap.

I've had ICPW, PCP, Makato, it's all the same junk from China. It's a 50/50 chance to get a set that doesn't condensate. You need to put a bead of silicon around the edge so it doesn't fog.

I did those "horrible" GBs and had to deal with the companies themselves. You can take my word for it or not... but it's all the same junk. When I did my conversion, I used OEM lights. Nothing is better than OEM. Remember that.

Celly, my manual says to take off the corners first which will give you full access to the main lights. I do think I will remove the grill shell as well though.

Yes Celly, I am a pretty good Grease Monkey and know my way around my truck pretty good. So it should be do-able for me.

draft thanks for the advice, I am doing this upgrade to get brighter light but also because my oem light leaks. I will silicone the new lights. I am a solid advocate of oem products and use them exclusively, but they just do not put out the same light output as the euro clears. Why did you replace your oem lights with oem??

aldive said:
You do not have to remove the grill.

It gives better access to the headlights is all I'm saying. It's good advice I should have followed in my first install. Made a world of difference when I put the set on my Eddie. Takes 5 minutes tops to take out the grille shell so what can it hurt?

Lazzman said:
Celly, my manual says to take off the corners first which will give you full access to the main lights. I do think I will remove the grill shell as well though.

I would. Al wouldn't. But then again, I'm only a mere mortal. ;)

Back