Spare Gas Carrying Ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare Gas Carrying Ideas?

Dueymon

Reaction score
City, State
Boise
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok, Thanks to forum members I think I've got resolution to the roof rack issue figured out! Now it's on to the how-do-I-feed-this-thing-on-the-trail ideas!

I am really looking for inexpensive/diy type of fixes. Not too concerned with looks but more stability, safety & functionality.

Who is carrying extra fuel and how?! I'm looking for easy ways to mount cans externally I guess, unless there are other ways! I'd rather not have them on the roof...

Thanks gang! Loving this forum!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have access to a welder, you can make a carrier for jerry cans on the back. You could also relocate your spare tire and use that space to mount the gas tank from a B-2, if I am remembering correctly.

Metal jerry cans can be stored in the cab without a smell. I've done it.

I don't like to carry jerry cans in the back. I do, but don't like the thought of a serious accident and a jerry can inside the truck

IIRC an E150 van tank fits in the spare tire space also. There is a thread about this mod in Wood1 sticky I think.

Thoughts?!

Has anyone here used these?

]http://www.quadratec.com/products/12202_01.htm?sgsc=C6Z06ZR1C6Z06ZR1&utm_medium=compshop&utm_source=googlemerchant&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_MK0BRDQsf_bsZS-_OIBEiQADPf--hE3DPdzzfyB8Kbm2vPfn7jyN0NyT36p7IIzEiNiuJUaAjRV8P8HAQ
[/URL]

Possibly mounted to the rear quarter panel? On my '93 there is easy access to be able to through bolt them on. Other than the obvious issues of having them on while driving through town etc any reason you could see these not working and being strong enough for offroad....not crawling etc, more overland style?

Thanks gang!

You have a 20 gallon plastic tank held to your body by thin straps. What could go wrong with a 20 liter metal jerry can in a proper holder?

You have a 20 gallon plastic tank held to your body by thin straps. What could go wrong with a 20 liter metal jerry can in a proper holder?

Lol good point. What about the mounting the holder to the body bit? Thoughts there?

If I was to mount a jerry can outside I would either mount it to an off road bumper or a swing out tire carrier. If you have some kind of gear rack on top, that would be a good spot too. I would not mount to the body. The thin metal wouldn't handle the can. I've seen it done, but I wouldn't. If you mount it to the side it will get scrapped right off. If you mount it to the tailgate, the bouncing would eventually rip it from the body. They make various carriers for jerry cans, and they can be mounted in any direction without leaking. I wanted a simple setup to mount inside that I could grab at any time without fiddling with straps, and wouldn't ever fail. I ended up fabricating my own out of square stock. I will say you could get it to mount to the tailgate. Get a carrier that has a strap so it wouldn't fall out when you open the tailgate. Then you would have to pull the plastic inside and through bolt it with as big washers as you can get.

True on the one hand, but accidents do happen, and famous words, "What could go wrong?" applies here as anywhere else when humans goof up.

Fumes and leaks inside are more the issue than anything else. I personally live in an area where I frequently climb and descend a mountain pass with thousands go feet in elevation gain and loss and the pressure differential causes fluid containers to swell and contract. My Water/Meth tank is mounted inside the rear cargo area and it makes all kind of noises form the pressure bleeding out of the tank. It may be a minimal issue for most, but I still don't like the idea of it inside the truck

If I was to mount a jerry can outside I would either mount it to an off road bumper or a swing out tire carrier. If you have some kind of gear rack on top, that would be a good spot too. I would not mount to the body. The thin metal wouldn't handle the can. I've seen it done, but I wouldn't. If you mount it to the side it will get scrapped right off. If you mount it to the tailgate, the bouncing would eventually rip it from the body. They make various carriers for jerry cans, and they can be mounted in any direction without leaking. I wanted a simple setup to mount inside that I could grab at any time without fiddling with straps, and wouldn't ever fail. I ended up fabricating my own out of square stock. I will say you could get it to mount to the tailgate. Get a carrier that has a strap so it wouldn't fall out when you open the tailgate. Then you would have to pull the plastic inside and through bolt it with as big washers as you can get.

Great ideas!!!! I wish I had some of your fab skills...

Rotopax seem like the best out there nowadays

Here's how I doubled my capacity... for Diesel of course! lol

The photo might confuse you, but it's my 1991 Ford Explorer, the auxilary fuel tank fits well inside the frame rail like the factory tank, and is of equal size,

20151121_151411.jpg

Is your lift so tall that the driveshaft goes underneath the tanks or how do you mitigate that? I imagine your exhaust just dumps out the side too?

In the photo the auxilary tank is not inside the frame rail, so it gives about 4 inches of space for the driveshaft which is tight, but more than enough, I have 4 link rear suspension with coil springs so there is very little side to side movement of the driveshaft, almost less than an inch from bump stop to hanging wheels,

The exhaust is outside the frame rail and alongside it out toward the rear bumper, this is possible because I have much much wider axles than the Explorer came with orignally, D44 HD 1978 front and a GM 14 bolt rear, I think the width is about 70" at the axle shafts, and my rims have little backspace too, but this is just to cast an idea to you guys, no need to go crazy like me, but the best storage for fuel is underneath your car, there is no denying that! :)

If anyone is looking to adding a second gas tank, two ideas that come to mind are either in place of the spare tire (jeep tank might fit), or a pickup "saddle" tank for outside the frame rail. I had considered both, but for me 20 gallons is more than enough. I can get about 300 miles on a tank before filling up, maybe 350 before empty. I like to always have my 5 gallon jerry can too, which is good for another 75-100 miles.

Instead I am looking into building a box in place of the spare tire carrier with a lid that opens in the bed for tool storage or whatever. The brace for the spare tire winch might even make a great brace.

Back