Spare Tire Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tire Problem

bubble874

Reaction score
I have a problem i need to put my spare tire somewhere, i can't put it on the roof its a 33" tire, doi i hafta get a custom holder for my bumper. If so who should i talk to and what is the cost estimation?

I put my 32" spare inside. It's laid down inside and is tied down with a steel threaded rod. I bought the 1/4" threaded rod from Home Depot, bent it like a "U" and drilled two holes in the floor to approximate where the wheel holes are. Got four wing nuts and four washers to tie down the tire, two nuts on top and two nuts below the floor pan. Just make sure the two wing nuts to tie down the tire are in before you bend the rod.

I cut out a sheet of plywood and built a platform over the tire for it with legs at all four corners to carry stuff. I built a long rectangular box to store all my tools in the extra room between the tire and wheel well.

Poor man's way of carrying the spare but it works for me since I don't have the custom bumper.

I had done the same thing that kvo had done, but the other day I tried a few different things, and now i have sort of a better place for it. Well I stood the tire up, and I put it on the pasenger side of the cargo area, right over the 2 tie points on the floor. I then got a Ratcheting tie strap, and attached it to each tie down point and up over the tire. cranked up tite, and I now have a new spot for my spare tire. If you do this you may need to place some rags where the tire comes in contact with the plastic interior panels. I have a piece of webbing tied in a loop and hooked onto the front most tie down and then the tire kind of goes in the loop, and the tie down strap attaches to the loop at the top of the tire. The purpose for this is to push the tire towards the front of the truck more(to stay away from the rear hatch).

This weekend I hope to have a Spare tire mount made for my truck, Next week I hope to have photos of the finished product.

Back