Spark Plug clarification for V8

BootyDo

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
Hello,
I previously replaced my spark plugs on my 2006 4.6L V8 with Motor craft SP 515. I feel like I'm beginning to see a misfire (no code), and was thinking of swapping again (it's been about three years). Then I noticed SP 515 is for the 5.4L Expeditions! Just horrified. Anyway, wanted to ask on a knowledgeable board if I should be picking up the 514s for my V8. Looks like they're a replacement plug.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,
I previously replaced my spark plugs on my 2006 4.6L V8 with Motor craft SP 515. I feel like I'm beginning to see a misfire (no code), and was thinking of swapping again (it's been about three years). Then I noticed SP 515 is for the 5.4L Expeditions! Just horrified. Anyway, wanted to ask on a knowledgeable board if I should be picking up the 514s for my V8. Looks like they're a replacement plug.

Correct, the SP514 (PZH1F) are the Sparkplugs for the 4.6 V8 for your year, 2006.

Thank you all! I feel so stupid for putting 515s in. According to FordParts, it's SP-462 but everything looks like 514 replaced those in later years. Going to give it a try. Now if I could figure out how to gap these things...:eek:

I'm soon coming to this phase to replace my spark plugs. According to Fordparts site the correct replacement part is SP462. Newer (better?) part seems to be the SP514.

I also saw the SP515. It looks like it would fit. I think only the side openings on the SP515 tip are cut deeper than SP514, making the SP515 a hotter plug maybe?

BootyDo: Seems you have tried the SP515 in Explorer... How did it work?

EDIT: Never mind... Ordered the SP-514's.

Back