• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug (getting it out issue)

antdemoe6

Reaction score
City, State
Southington Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 1997 Mountaineer. It has the 5.0 in it. Im doing a tune up (plugs and wires). I got them all done except for one. The second one back on the driver side is giving me a major problem, mind you it never had a tune up before so its not pretty. So the problem is theirs a steel or aluminum tube the the spark plug goes into for protection, I cant get out the old plug because at the end of the tube its somehow stopping the socket from going on the the plug. I opened the tube up as much as i could but i still cant get the socket on, Ive tried beating it on with a hammer and still no luck. Anyone have this problem or could give me advice on how to get the plug or tube off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you tried going in from the fender well and using just a regular socket (not a spark plug socket)? i found that a spark plug socket was too thick for some of the plugs on my 5.0. a regular socket worked fine, you just have to be careful to keep it centered.

Ill give that a try, Ive done all of them through the fenders though, i didnt think of useing a regular socket though and ill be careful. It wont hurt to try, thank you!

That little sleeve SHOULD pull out. Try soaking a little penetrating oil in there.

That sleeve does not belong there, it is the heat shield from the plug wire...

Indeed, usually it should come out easier than the plug wire, and the plug wire should be pretty hard to get out with that sleeve still in.

That little sleeve SHOULD pull out. Try soaking a little penetrating oil in there.

exactly what i did. i soaked all the plus with PO, then had lunch, then soaked them again. these little tubes i just pulled/wiggled out with pliers.

Back