• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plugs and Headers

TestPoint

Reaction score
City, State
Ellijay
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 5.0 in an '82 Volvo
Installed Ford Racing shorty headers on an '00 302 for installation in an old Volvo. Left hand bank spark plug wires clear header tubes, right side doesn't. Searching for 'shorty' plugs and/or wire plug ends with more clearance. No luck.

Anyone solved this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the link but the ACCEL shorty plug discussed there is only 1/8" shorter than the OEM plug. That didn't solve his problem and I think that a 1/4" gap would be much more attractive. Seems like headers, even those specific to the GP40P heads, even the Ford Racing ones I bought, allow spark plug replacement but not plug wires.

That leaves: adding a spacer that will move the header out, hammering a dent for the plug wire boot and/or replacing the plug wires. Replacing the wires adds another issue, the distributer(less) end on all I have found for header use are entirely different from the OEM.

Other comments would be appreciated.

I just ordered a set of Aurora wires for my truck from http://auroraignitionwires.com/ I've had these in the past on a Ranger 4.0L with DIS. Anyways the quality of the product is top notch, eventhough the website may not be.

They can custom build wire sets with the FORD DIS ends and i'm sure have multiple options for the spark plug boot end.

I just ordered a set of Aurora wires for my truck from http://auroraignitionwires.com/

I've got Aurora under my hood right now and had them in my last Exploder too. I agree that quality is top notch as is their service (owner/operated). I scored a standard set of wires for my '99 EB (302) and after torching one of them when they got too close to the headers, he put together a custom wire for me with different boots to clear the header. Great guy to deal with.

Magnecor will do custom wires too, but they cost more. Having Aurora not too far away in Abbotsford is a bonus too.

Back