• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Question

KodeBlu

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited
Just a quick question for those who have changed their spark plugs and or wires. Did you stick with Motorcraft like Ford recommends? Or did you go with another brand? If so...what brand and were they standard plugs and wires or high performance?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There have been at least 5 spark plug and wire threads in the past 2 weeks :rolleyes: Oh well. I have double platinum motorcraft plugs (though one heat range cooler cause of the s/c and nitrous) and motorcraft replacement plug wires. They work really well for me. Since the Explorer ignition system is very strong, the motorcraft replacements are just fine if they stay in good condition.

Not sure about differences in plugs. But. I have found that the Jacobs wires yield a smoother running motor for me as well as a little better mileage.

Good luck.....

Ive used the Motorcraft regular and platinum plugs and also the regular and platinum Bosch plugs. The only difference is the platinums seem to last a little longer. I couldnt tell any difference between the 2 brands.

I use Bosch Platinums

when you change your plugs you need to use the motorcraft. they have the proper heat range that you need for the motor. bosch platinums are cheaper, but they caused me a lot more trouble with gas milage and spark knock. to be honest, i dont recomend them hardly at all anymore at work. the best philosophy is to stay original or as close as possible. the boschs work well in little 4-bangers, but not in a v6 that are made to work, not run up and down the highway.

as for wires, i went with the bosch 8mm and they have worked fine.

the sad thing is that autozone is running a special on bosch plugs and we have to reccomend them (yeah right). and by the way, when you call your autozone, pay attention to the new greeting that we have to say. if we get enough people to complain about how stupid it is then we dont have to say it anymore.

thanks
brian

I'll go with any platinum. They stay longer and better.

Back