Spark plug wire too short | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug wire too short

ijag

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
I changed the wires with Motorcraft WR5791 and one of them was too short so i had to reuse a old one going to get a new set,any recommendations on wires that will be long enough for 99 4.0 ohv?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If something was wrong with the wires you bought, you should return then for a refund or exchange at the place of purchase. The part number you have appears correct for your application, so you shouldn't have any problems.

I did this a couple months back and I am now Starting to run into problems with the one older wire and I trashed the old ones since they were in bad shape. When changing them I noticed that 5 of the old wires were the same besides one that was different, all was motorcraft brand so the person that changed them before me had the same problem, maybe a common thing to be too short?

Try routing them through the upper intake plenum instead of around the back

Try routing them through the upper intake plenum instead of around the back
Ok will do when I get home also one other reason I wanted to get new plugs was because I got a little dielectric grease on the connecting part of the wire the connects to the plug and was causing me a little trouble so I’m gonna get some brake cleaner and try to get it all out

AutoZone (and I assume other auto parts stores) sell individual plug wires in varying lengths. They keep them behind the counter. Take your bad wire (or the short one) in with you for comparison and length.

I had a buddy that used to work at canadian tire back in the 90's. He said guys would buy 2 sets, take the long ones, and return a box with 6 short ones all the time. especially for the sbc. Pissed him off. I bought a box last time I replaced them, and it only had 5 in it, probably a return. Its worth checking the box before you leave the store.

When I changed wires on my 96, original to Motorcraft, I had to route some differently due to them being too short if I ran them where the old wire was.

Ok I put the wire through the intake and it fit just fine

Back