• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug wires

JulieEx

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Xlt
I have 54,238 miles on my Ex and think its time to change spark plugs. My bbrother is in town and he doesn't know it yet but he is going to change them. I read about Bosh plus four plugs and bought a set. Should I change the wires too. They are the ones that came with my Ex. What kind should I get? Can I order them online ( I hate going in car part stires )? I want some pretty ones. Please advise me as soon as you can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard a lot of people like the Jacobs wires on here. I ran a new set of Napa wires on mine when I replaced them @50k (www.napaonline.com if you don't want to go to the store). Taylor and Accel both make wires in various colors if you want a particular look. www.summitracing.com has both of them.

As for the Bosch +4's, I'd take 'em back and get a set of regular platinums and save some $$$. There are quite a few threads on that here, and in articles on testing that I have seen, they really don't do any better than the standard plug.

Originally posted by JDraper
As for the Bosch +4's, I'd take 'em back and get a set of regular platinums and save some $$$. There are quite a few threads on that here, and in articles on testing that I have seen, they really don't do any better than the standard plug.

Thank you for answering, but rest asured saving a few dollars in of no concern for me. Most of the guys who are regulars here use the Bosch plugs. Why would that be if you say they are no better than whatever brand? What does someone else think?

I agree, from what I've read the +4's are no better than regular Bosch Platinum plugs. I took mine back and stuck with regular Platinums, and I am happy.

I do use Bosch plugs. Just not the +4's. I wasn't suggesting you use any generic brand of plug, I was suggesting you stick to the 'regular (Bosch) platinums'. Sorry if I confused you.

Originally posted by JDraper
I do use Bosch plugs. Just not the +4's. I wasn't suggesting you use any generic brand of plug, I was suggesting you stick to the 'regular (Bosch) platinums'. Sorry if I confused you.

Got any data to support that suposition?

I am planning to replace mine this week with + 4's.

What do those of you who are running +4s think?

I read a test somewhere (maybe car& driver or something like that) where they compared the gas mileage, horsepower, etc between the regular bosch and the +4's and found basically no difference. One of my friends switched to them in his Blazer, and he couldn't tell the difference either.

There is also an engineering reason why they don't work any better. Electricity will always follow the path of least resistance. Even though the +4's have 4 electrodes on them, each time an individual plug fires, it will only generate one spark from the anode (centerpost) to one of the the cathodes (electrode). Each time it fires, it might spark to a different cathode, but it still will only be a single spark.

The way to generate a bigger spark is to boost the current flowing to the plug, and open up the gap in the plug. This is why you see a lot of people going to aftermarket ignition systems like Mallory or MSD, and why drag racers file their electrodes back as far as possible to generate the greatest gap possible. The plugs don't last very long, but you get a much larger spark.

Sorry I didn't add this part when I replied at first, but I was being yelled at to come help with Easter dinner, and I was in a rush :)

If you want some pretty wires, I think the Jacobs look good, they are "electric blue" and stand out in the engine compartment. The Magnacore wires are red.
Accel wires are yellow I think.

Avoid the Accel wires, they are overpriced (pardon my french) crap and you are better off going with Motorcraft wires.

Jeff is right about the xtra electrodes being really a gimmick. Jacobs recommends single electrode plug with their wires...but they also say you can gap out a little for more power. The gap and spark are the keys to performance in that area...not having 2 or 3 or 4 electrodes and splitfire this and that...

If you really want to race it, you can always buy some new plugs, and then side gap them. (side gapping involves shaving off part of the electrode, making it shorter). It's a racer trick that I don't recommend, because if you don't do it right it can do more harm than good. If you side gap, though, you'll have to change the plugs more often because the plugs will foul faster.

Back