• Register Today It's free!

Spark plugs and coil pack

Ginganinja97

Reaction score
City, State
Red Deer County alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer limited
Question for the group for spark plugs what do i need i want to change them im not sure when they were last done i just know i havent done them since ive owned the vehicle just wondering if i need just platinum or double platinum or what... also should i do my coil pack at the same time?
Edit: also engine is a 4.0 sohc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question for the group for spark plugs what do i need i want to change them im not sure when they were last done i just know i havent done them since ive owned the vehicle just wondering if i need just platinum or double platinum or what... also should i do my coil pack at the same time?
Check the maintenance manual in the car. It will list the manufacturer spark plug for the car. Also on the radiator support , there should be emission label listing the plug and gap.
If the mileage is at 100,000( recommended replacement) you will see they need replacement.
You did not list your engine?
I only replace the coil when I have a problem.

Check the maintenance manual in the car. It will list the manufacturer spark plug for the car. Also on the radiator support , there should be emission label listing the plug and gap.
If the mileage is at 100,000( recommended replacement) you will see they need replacement.
You did not list your engine?
I only replace the coil when I have a problem.
Engine is a 4.0 sohc no issues right now and its at 396000km

Platinum will work, but it's a waste spark system so the double platinum will last longer, except past a certain mileage you may end up with oil fouling as a replacement cause before the electrodes would have worn away.

I wouldn't replace the coil pack, though it might be time to replace the wires.

Motorcraft plugs. Do yourself a favor.

Platinum will work, but it's a waste spark system so the double platinum will last longer, except past a certain mileage you may end up with oil fouling as a replacement cause before the electrodes would have worn away.

I wouldn't replace the coil pack, though it might be time to replace the wires.
I also replace my wires. At the 100k mark.

Autolite or motorcraft platinum or double
Platinum Plugs will work

Time For new wires do not I repeat do not get cheap auto parts store wires
Motorcraft wires are the best and can be had online for same price as cheap auto
Part store set

Coil packs good for many many miles typically

Autolite or motorcraft platinum or double
Platinum Plugs will work

Time For new wires do not I repeat do not get cheap auto parts store wires
Motorcraft wires are the best and can be had online for same price as cheap auto
Part store set

Coil packs good for many many miles typically
So you wouldnt bother changing the coil pack at 400k km? Or roughly 250k miles if youre american

250k miles is half life hahaha

The factory coil pack is superior to cheapo aftermarket’s. If I did replace it I would use another factory one likely from a junk truck. This is not really a “wear item” unless it is super rusty on the bottom side or cracking on the housing… no I would not
These ignitions are very very good. It’s the cheap wires and poor wire routing that cause issues

Back