Speaker Hissing and Popping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speaker Hissing and Popping

R

RichardLH

I bought a 95 Explorer Limited and I am very pleased with it, even though it has 100,000 miles. It has the JBL sound system. However, the right rear door speaker hisses and pops periodically and then clears up. It does it whether I am using the radio, the CD or tape. I can turn the balance and fade to the left front and it still hisses and pops. Even if I turn down the volume all the way down, it hisses and pops. Is it the speaker or amp? What's the best fix? What is the best way to remove the speaker or amp, if necessary? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, I had the EXACT same problem with my 91 Navajo. All of a sudden it just started happening. Same speaker location too. Then all of a sudden, about two months later, it just disappeared. I think it had to do with me hitting a large pothole or something, but I'm not sure. No one else had heard of the problem. Sorry I can't help you out more, but maybe it will just go away like it did for me. Jon

I had the same problem with my 94 sport but it was the right door, after many (7) trips to the dealer it was the wire from the head unit to the amp. Good luck.

JTang and Dennis:

Thanks for the reply. With JTang's hitting the bump and Dennis' wiring problem, I think that may be it. I saw on another web site that loose wires could cause the problem. I'll check it out by checking the connections and posting my findings. It may be a couple of weeks because of my current schedule. Thanks for responding :)

I had the exact same problem in the same location when I purchased my 1997 Mountaineer. After consulting with people at my dealer they found that my cellular phone was causing the sound. It only made the noise when my cell phone was on. There is a Ford service bulletin about this. I used to have a Motorola Piper flip phone and switched to a Sony, this stopped the noise. I am not sure if this is your problem, but could be a potential cause of you use a phone in your Explorer.

------------------
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Mods: Bug shield, K&N, and more to come

I have pulled hair over this same right rear speaker problem and here was the solution in my case:

I have a 97 Limited with the JBL. I have made Ford replace every electronic part of my stereo to no avail. Then, after knowing the entire shop on a first name basis, the figured it out. The bracket holding the bass module was not metal and was thus building up a static charge and releasing through the speaker. I had the bracket replaced with a metal one so it woud release the charge into the car's body. No problems since then.

Best of luck with the annoying problem!

Zaddick

Reply to Mountaineer 5.0

I have the speaker problem even if I have my cell phone off. I have a digital phone, Siemens, and I get the hissing and popping no matter what.

Thanks for the reply :)

Reply to ZADDICK

What an interesting solution, it makes sense. I'll check the bracket along with the connections.

Thanks for the reply :)

I have this same annoying problem, where is the bracket, and what is the bass module. Thanks for any help.
Travis

I have a 93 EB w/o the JBL system. Mine also makes a hissing noise. This is weird. There is only a popping sound in the rear speakers when i turn my windshield wipers on. The pops are sycronized with ever swipe the wipers take. Any advice?

JoeC4:

That's a hard core car audio problem. This is something that's experienced with other people with turn signals as well. It's an easy fix with a tiny capacitor, but I don't remember the details. Try finding a newsgroup for car audio, such as rec.audio.car, and post your question. Someone should have your answer.

Back