• Register Today It's free!

Speaker Problems Help!!!!?!?!

sfhighroller

Reaction score
City, State
Cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 EB
I have a cb radio in my xplorer and i have had a 25watt PA speaker running from my fuse box. The fuse i am using is a 30 watt fuse. I wantes the speaker to be louder so i bought a 100watt speaker and it isnt that much louder. Would that be because of the 30 watt fuse i am only getting 5 more watts out of it or would that be the cbs problem. And if you know what the problem might be could you tell me what i can do to make the 100watt PA speaker get all the 100watts it needs. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if im understanding you right (you dont have many details about the actual setup) then it shouldnt be louder because its only going to put out the wattage given off by the cb radio. The wattage of the speaker is only the maximum wattage the speaker can handle.

yeah the 100watt speaker isnt 4 times louder as it should be than the 25watt speaker and i dont know if it is the 30watt fuse that i am running all the power from that wont give it all the power it wants or if its the cb radio

Just a guess: You have a PA of unknown wattage (less than 25 watts, based on the speaker it came with, and probably less than 5 if it's just some internal CB amp), and you're running power to it through a 30 amp fuse? I don't think I've ever heard of fuses rated in watts installed on speaker wire, so it must be something like that.

You can put a 1000 watt speaker in there if you want, but it's not going to get louder, and it's not because of the fuse. You need a more powerful PA, or maybe a little amp inline between the PA and speaker, or a powered PA speaker.

Yeah just because the speaker is designed to handle more power doesn't mean it will be louder. If you want a bit more loudness, look for one with a high efficiency, but really at this low of a wattage what you'll need is amplification, or more of it.

ummm.... you dont have a 30 watt fuse. Fuses are rated in amps. you probably have a 30 amp fuse and that should be more than enough for a 100 watt PA speaker.
Like eric said you are probably running the spkr off of a very low power amp on the cb.

A PA unit on a CB typically will put out a maximum of 5 watts. To be able to get more volume out of your PA you will need a 100 Watt Police Unit. Not Cheap.

Just a thought here. Couldn't he get a cheap amp with speaker line inputs and wire the pa speaker into that to give him the power boost? Years ago Radio Shack had a 25 watt power booster. it was a black box about the size of an 8-track tape with a power switch and a light on it. You connected your speaker wires from your radio then from the booster to your speakers. Do they still make little booster amps like this?

Back