• Register Today It's free!

6x8 door speakers

raginraj

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS 4x4 (4.0L OHV)
I want to upgrade my speaker at the same time I get a new HU. I'm thinking of going with 3-way 6x8's in the rear doors and 2-ways up front. I would go 3-ways all around but I feel that the low position of the front speakers might take away some of the advantage of the additional tweeter.

I was looking at some Pioneers (TS-G6840R & TS-A6870R) or some Kenwoods (KFC-C6879ie & KFC-C6889ie).

What do you all think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want it to sound really good, go with a set of component speakers up front and simple 2 ways in the rear.

^that sounds good, and its what I've been doing in most of the vehicles that I've had....

Or if you want to do it your way, at least put the 3-ways up front! you typically want the "better" sound up front, or at least more of it, a soundstage so to speak. If you have too much behind you, thats where the sound will appear to come from.

watch out for 3- and 4-way coax speakers. They can be more of a marketing gimmick than a real value. One decent tweeter is better than two cheap ones. Generally speaking, it's the woofers that struggle with bandwidth, not the tweeters.

go with aldives suggestion...its what i have, and works better than any 3 way speakers.

so what kind of componet speaker setups do you guys have? i've been doing some research and it looks like installing some 6x8's is something i can do myself. but the component setups look a bit more complex.

I have infinity kappas and yes they are a little bit harder to install but just adds on about 45 minutes to the install to put the tweeters on the dash....much longer if you want a clean install that looks factory.

raginraj said:
so what kind of componet speaker setups do you guys have? i've been doing some research and it looks like installing some 6x8's is something i can do myself. but the component setups look a bit more complex.

IMO, JL Audio makes one of the best 5x7/6x8 component speakers you could buy...
Dead Link Removed
It retails for over $400, but you can usually find it on eBay for around $250.

They also make a coaxial version with a less sophisticated crossover...
Dead Link Removed

I have the 5.25" version of their comp set, which requires the use of an adapter plate to fit the stock 5x7/6x8 opening. Using my Alpine 9835 head unit as signal source and a MTX 342 amp to power them, the sound quality is outstanding. There are some pics of my install here...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/621380/3

As kalel33 said, comps take a little more time to install since you have to mount the tweeter and crossover "box" separately from the midrange driver. There are more wires to hook up.

Back