Speed govenor How to get rid of it | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speed govenor How to get rid of it

Well, if its not the govenor i have no clue what it is. When i hit 100 it starts to bog down, press the gas nothing happens as soon as it gets to about 95 lets back again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Ray Lobato
kingsleysurf,
Are you sure that it's a govenor? I have taken my Explorer over 100 mph before. I wonder when they started doing that?:confused:

Ray, did you add a chip to the Explorer to remove the speeed limiter? On my 99, its set at 104 as measured with a GPS.

i took my 96 explorer xlt to 120, but since i got the 2002 sport it doesnt go faster than 100

I will admit that its cool to go over 110 MPH but not in an explorer. No matter how safe you think it is an Explorer is very unstable at those speeds. I have brought mine up to those speeds in the past but i was going in a strait line. If i had to do any high speed manuvers i would be up ***** creek.

Not the mention the fact that the police officer who catches you will wipe is bum with your liecence and you will get arrested and have to ask your friends for rides for a few years.

I guess i matured a bit over the summer. For the past 3 years that i owned my motorcycle i routinely hit 145mph on my motorcycle everyday on the highway with a group of friends and alone. The only thing that kept me from going any faster was the fact that i hit the redline govenor which was set around 13,000 RPM's if i remember correctly.

My 93 Navajo bumps the limiter at "R". I guess that is 100, or 104. I could only get it there down hill for a long ways:D . Too bad! I grew up on dirt road and my s10 blazer with 4.10s and a swapped 3.4 camaro crate motor for the 2.8 was up to a hundred every time I got off the pavement where the cops weren't. -safer that way;) That was with out sway bars too! That is just how I drive. My dad grew up out in bfe too and I learned it from him. My bros- same way! Everydrive home was a rally or dirt track race. The fun really starts when you meet a nieghbor or a family member on the way home! It is all out full contact race! It was so much better time wise when you are a half an hour from any civilization.
I live in Freaking Dallas now, won't catch me treating my ranger or Navajo like that... often.

99 Ex is right, the Explorer is not very stable at 100+ mph, too tall, too narrow and too soft/stiff to really maintain speeds like that.

I pushed my 95 up to 105mph and hit a bump and could have sworn the front end bounced off the ground as it topped and bottomed out the front suspension several times, luckilly it was a straight road and I could slow down to kill the wild ocillations I had. now I don't push it much past 90 if I have to pass someone. I usually keep it to about 75 or so unless it's an absolutely smooth road.

The only car I've ever driven at sustained 100+ was my old '76 Chevelle and it felt well planted even at 130, I guess cause it was 6.5 feet wide and only 4.5 feet tall. Also John Z. Delorian (yes that Delorian!) was the suspension engineer when my Chevelle was designed waaay back in the early '70s for the 73-77 GM A-body lines.

i havent hit past 80 in my x now, but it sure feelz unstable compared to other cars ive driven. the suburban feels more planted, maybe because of the weight ofthe car. my dads pathfinder is smooth even at 90. maybe the people who lowere their x's have better experiences

The above mentioned instability feeling can be vastly improved with some modifications:

(1) a beefier rear sway bar with poly bushings
(2) replace front sway bar bushings with poly ones
(3) lower the truck 1 1/2"
(4) Edelbrock ISA shocks for lowered Explorers

Originally posted by aldive
Ray, did you add a chip to the Explorer to remove the speeed limiter? On my 99, its set at 104 as measured with a GPS.

Al, No I don't have a chip in my Explorer.
When I first got it, I took it out on I-5 and punched it out, just to see what it would do. I think I stopped at 110. The one and ony time I've ever taken my Explorer that fast. When you hit that 104, did your truck start to bog down? When I hit 110 I didn't have that happen to me like when I hit 90 in the Ranger.

mine at "r" felt like it lost power, it bogger down and slowed down until about 95, then I got it back. Felt like it jacked up the ignition until it slowed down.

My 01' speed limiter engages at 108mph. I've hit it a few times when she was stock and with the 2" Lift. I loved the way she handled even at high speeds. Very impressive.

Personally, if I had a daughter, I wouldn't take the speed limiter off of the Ranger, unless she drag raced on a llegal drag strip or something. I mean "to each their own", I'm not telling anyone what to do BUT I don't think I would be able to face my (future) wife if my daughter got into an accident at a high speed. I'm not saying that Women can't drive as good as guys or anything, but would be my baby girl, and for a daily driver it only takes one F* up even if it's not her fault.

I know it's a double standard in a way, but maybe if it were a safer vehicle, one that was designed for high speeds I wouldn't have a problem with it, but with a Ranger or Explorer? Last week I saw some pictures of a rolled yellow Ranger on here, and the guy is lucky to have survived. I think I'm going to put roll cages in all my future kids cars/trucks. Maybe even on their baby strollers/walker chairs. :D

Originally posted by Ray Lobato
Al, No I don't have a chip in my Explorer.
When I first got it, I took it out on I-5 and punched it out, just to see what it would do. I think I stopped at 110. The one and ony time I've ever taken my Explorer that fast. When you hit that 104, did your truck start to bog down? When I hit 110 I didn't have that happen to me like when I hit 90 in the Ranger.

Ray. it feels almost like the ignition was turned off.... there is no mo go.

Mine stutters at the speed governor as the computer selectively misfires cylinders. Mine feels great up to about 105. The governor is about about 108.

Hi Ray, my Ranger is the same way but hey 93 mph is fast and I do not think is worth the money to buy a chip to go eney faster and kill your self.

Keep the rubber side down, be safe

My old ranger would kick in about 106. It makes a horible clunking noise like the rear end is giving out when it hits that, but I kinda agree with everyone else, since i am on the road too. Unless it is for a track why would you need to got that fast in a truck?

I would go fast just for the rush... but it sounded like the ranger behave wierd when he rapped it up even when it was sitting still- That's wierd if it does, but didn't he say to go to the dealership and wrap up a ranger? Maybe that is what he's trying to fix. I Dont have a daughter, but chicks who haul butt are cool!
I think I wrote booger in my last post- bogged is what I meant.

Back