• Register Today It's free!

Speed Limiter Question ?

flya727

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
I see a lot of people are getting tunes and as a by product, elimetating the limiter. I just got my ST, it is a 2003 and was wondering what speed the govener is topped out at in the top end? I plan on getting a chip or programmer to get better milage and power, just got a Magnaflow dual exhaust to help it out.

Thanks,

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know if it would be the same or not, but my Focus was set at 110. I was racing an Acura Integra on I-75 and thought I blew the engine when it hit. For the Focus, its a fuel cut and it won't reset until you get below 80 I think.

Considering that the ST is seen as a "roll-prone' vehicle, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a little lower.

OOH, Roll Prone!

not heard that before, but can't be surprised as the hieght of the ST looks like it would be rol prone. I have not gotten it over 80 MPH yet. so I do not know what it is set at, but I bet some here know. When I saw you where on I75, I thought you lived down here in Gator country! I am in the only "hills" of Florida around Mount Dora.

Thanks,

Rick

I used to live in Gator Country. Started at UF in 92, took some time off, went to Santa Fe for my AA and then returned to UF for my BS in 99 and a MA in 01. Worked for the athletic department for a year after that. 25 years total in Florida living between Lake County (lived in Lady Lake, went to Tavares) and Gainesville. The aforementioned race was on 75 heading down to Ocala to meet my mom for dinner one night.

As for roll prone, note the use of "quotes". Because a select number of idiots have rolled their Explorers, all SUVs are tagged with that reputation. For those of us who can drive, it's not much of an issue.

I've had a couple Rangers and one Sport Trac, they were all limited to about 95 mph. Different people report different top ends, but stock speedos start getting inaccurate once you're above 80 mph or so. Given that Explorers, ST's, etc. are as aerodynamic as a brick, even if you took off the limiter I doubt you'd see more than 100 or 110 anyway.
I always tell people that if you need to go that fast, get a Mustang. It's safer at those speeds.

Johnny,

I agree about the speed issue and safety. These were not designed to go fast, others are and still be safe. I was fortunate enough to drive a Mercedes (European model), on the Austian Autobahn. Over 180 KMH the car felt more secure driving than at the lower speeds. Probably me just facinated at the speeds they drive over there, but sure was fun!

Rick

Flya, just converted 180 kmh to mph, it's only a little over 110 mph....fast enough, I'd say, but those fools on that Autobahn will pass you at that speed, won't they?........geez....:)

Yes they will pass you at 110!

What i was trying to say, is that the Mercedes handling got better past 110 and beyond. Top speed that I drove was around 140 and there were cars "taking the lead" at that speed. When there is an acident, it's a BIG one!

Rick

My 2001 wasn't limited from the factory. I took it up past 110mph once. But, I never did see the point of going much above 80mph in it.
And then one day after taking it in for service at a dealership they updated the computer's program installing that speed limit that everyone gets now.

I see a lot of people are getting tunes and as a by product, elimetating the limiter. I just got my ST, it is a 2003 and was wondering what speed the govener is topped out at in the top end? I plan on getting a chip or programmer to get better milage and power, just got a Magnaflow dual exhaust to help it out.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,
Give me your boxcode off the computer and I will tell you what your limiter is set at. Most of the time it is around 107 for the Explorer. The computer location is on the firewall offset to the left side. It will be sticking out of the firewall slightly and have a rectangular connector on it. There will be a bold face letters and #'s on the top (example, TTY2,BAE1,etc.) once I get the computer (boxcode) I can tell you more about the vehicle. BTW I am a custom tuning dealer and I can remove that limiter as well. -James

Hey James!

I just ordered a XCAL2 from you, but here is the code any way. Anything you could tell me Like, limiter, if I have limited slip diff, or anything else.

The code: PAT1. How do you find out so much stuff off that one code?

I think my XCAL will come tomorrow, anything special i need to know to get started?

Rick

I just ordered a XCAL2 from you, but here is the code any way. Anything you could tell me Like, limiter, if I have limited slip diff, or anything else.

The code: PAT1. How do you find out so much stuff off that one code?

I think my XCAL will come tomorrow, anything special i need to know to get started?

Rick

Rick with this boxcode any parameters in the ECM set by Ford I can see. The stock limiter on your vehicle shows to be 90mph. As far as installation it is really straight forward. Plug the unit in select program vehicle then scroll up or down to select the tune you would like to install and press select. When the unit is finished flashing the truck you will get a sound and visual promt to press select. Turn key off press select again and then remove the cable from the obd II/dtc port.
Please note when changing between tunes you dont need to return back to stock. Just choose which tune you will want and start the process over again. BTW, You limiter has been removed!;)

James,

Thanks for the super fast shipping. Plugged it in and ran your "89 Street" tune most of the day, SWEET! Much better mid-range torque, can't wait to play with it some more tomrrow. I have a trip coming up so I will try out the economy tune to see what I get with the Cat-backs installed.

This is my first 4.0L Ford, came up from a 95 Ranger with the 3.0L. All I can say is that it is a "night and day" difference in everything.

Rick

Back