CaseyMac

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Callsign
Priest
So, this will be my first (second after new member post) post and wanted to put out the info of what I have and what I am dealing with. Any comments, suggestions or advice is of course always welcome, given that is the point of this forum lol. Ok so right to it.

Vehicle:
1998 Explorer 4.0L V6 SOHC, 4WD (bought about a week ago for youngest son)

Codes from OBDII Scanner:
P1000 - On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Systems Readiness Test Not Complete
P1729 - 4x4L switch circuit malfunction (I think this one is due to having the TC shift motor unplugged)
P1260 - Engine Disabled by (PATS) (engine starts and runs just fine but previous owner did say he put ignition in)
B1309 - Power door lock circuit Failure (all work when hitting the buttons)
P1808 - 4WD low indicator circuit failure (had issue before unplugging TC shift motor)
P1804 - 4WD high indicator circuit failure (had issue before unplugging TC shift motor)
B1347 - Rear window defrost input relay coil circuit failure

Cluster Issues:
Speedometer, Odometer, Tripometer and Coolant Gauge not working on cluster (Gas gauge, tachometer voltage and oil pressure gauge all working)
Reset Fuel light comes on every time I open a door but shuts off when closed
ABS light sometimes comes on for a split second.
O/D light sometimes flashes and both 4WD High and Low lights sometimes comes on and/or flashes (It does drop a gear when I hit the O/D off button)

Transmission issues:
Won't go highway speeds (I am guessing top speed is about 35-40 mph but can't be sure since speedo isn't working)
Shifts through first few gears pretty quick but wont go fast speeds. (picks up speed pretty good)
Can't shift in or out of 4WD. (Sometimes it does it on its own and not sure what it is in now due to lights not working with the actual shift motor position)
TC Shift Rod positioned in 4hi (tested to see if shift motor was getting power, doesn't look like it is)

What I have done so far:
Checked/Tested all fuses, relays and diodes in the passenger fuse panel and in engine fuse box
Replaced both VSS on rear diff and Input Speed Sensor on top of tranny
Have new TC shift motor but can't get it on because the position the TC knob is in is different then the new motor and when I try to turn the knob with plyers it just pops back to its original position.
Replaced Cluster (had to due to shift indicator cable being snapped)
Changed Engine Oil and filter (Old filter had a date of 2015 on it)
Replaced right side steering wheel buttons (left side still needs replaced)
Replaced steering column sleeves and mounts
Replaced 4WD electronic relay (not sure if I had to but a new one was free so why not)
Bleed and replaced brake fluid. (No air in lines and fluid is topped, double checked)
Change spark plugs and wires
Changed air filter
Changed rear diff gear oil
changed Transfer Case Oil
Changed belt
Did a coolant flush
Tested 4WD switch (good)

Still need to:
Change Transmission fluid and filter (plan on going ahead and swapping out valve body gasket since I will have the pan off anyways)
Change front diff gear oil

Main problem of course is the shifting, 4WD stuck in Hi, possible no power going to TC shift motor and part of the cluster not working. Regardless of the work I have already completed, the above mentioned codes and issues are what I currently have. I did see another thread about checking a couple of connectors in the engine bay against firewall that I will do after work today but with what I have put above is there anything else I should be looking at or checking for?

Back